• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which to choose (1 Viewer)

Thinking of upgrading (I hope) after 20 years. Currently have a pair of Swift Audubon 825's in 7x35. Thinking a little more power would be nice. Where I live, there are no binocular stores handy, so everything would be mail order. Looking at the Swift Audubon 828, the Vortex Broadwing 8x42, Minox BD 8x42, and Pentax DCF SP 8x43. Which is the best optics of this group? Any others in this price range to consider? What would be gained/lost going to a 10x binocular? Use in low light and inclement weather sill occur, so weatherproofing is important. Thanks for any help.

one eye joe said:
Nobody wants to give an opinion? Does anybody know of a store in the Dallas area that handles any of these binoculars? Thanks.

I don't know if you're anywhere near lewisville, but the Sportsman's warehouse should have the BD series Minox. Ours here in San Antonio does. Unfortunately, I don't think they have any of the other's on your list.

Best,
Christopher

A very reputable mail order dealer is Eagle Optics. www.eagleoptics.com. They have a 30 day no fault return guarantee and carry most of the binoculars you list including the Swift 828. I suggest you stick with 8x or 8.5x rather than 10x if you want low light performance. 10 x 50's are pretty heavy.

Bob

A very reputable mail order dealer is Eagle Optics. www.eagleoptics.com. They have a 30 day no fault return guarantee and carry most of the binoculars you list including the Swift 828. They are very knowledgable and can give you the pro's and con's on each binocular. I suggest you stick with 8x or 8.5x rather than 10x if you want low light performance. 10 x 50's are pretty heavy.

Bob

With 10x, you need a little more checking out and comparing, with 8x there are lots of good ones. The resolution issue comes more obvious at 10x as well as distortions.

one eye joe said:
Swift Audubon 828, the Vortex Broadwing 8x42, Minox BD 8x42, and Pentax DCF SP 8x43. Which is the best optics of this group?

I have a pair of Swift Audubon HHS 828 8.5x44 roofs. I have looked through the Pentax ones. Thought they were pretty good also. No experience with the Vortex or Minox models.

I myself would pick the Swifts over the Pentaxs. The 828 is almost as sharp as the porroprism Swift Audubon's. FOV only 6.4 degrees though, about the same as the Pentaxs. Really good eye relief. It is pretty subjective, actually.

jaymoynihan said:
I have a pair of Swift Audubon HHS 828 8.5x44 roofs. I have looked through the Pentax ones. Thought they were pretty good also. No experience with the Vortex or Minox models.

I myself would pick the Swifts over the Pentaxs. The 828 is almost as sharp as the porroprism Swift Audubon's. FOV only 6.4 degrees though, about the same as the Pentaxs. Really good eye relief. It is pretty subjective, actually.

Thanks. I was leaning towards the Audubons for a couple of reasons. I have really liked my old Swifts, and the extra .5 magnification might be nice. I very rarely read bad about the Swift Audubons. Just wish I hadn't done my taxes. Not going to be able to buy anything for a while.

Binocular Inventory

Joe,
I haven't been there lately, but I believe the Bass Pro Shops carry a pretty nice inventory of brand name binoculars.

Depending on where you live, there is one on the West side of Dallas near DFW airport. There is also one on the East side on I30 at Lake Ray Hubbard.

Good luck in your quest. I'm not much of an expert or I would make more of a recommendation.

Lynn

They do have quite a lot of brands. They even have a store brand that is worth a brief look, 1 year warranty only, but under $200 I think.

The ones that they carry I did not like were Steiner, all seemed a bit dim.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back