• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Cabrera, Thursday 11th

Great day out to the National Park with ChristianSG and Carl from Denmark:
23 Booted eagles, 2 Ospreys, around 90 House martins and 20 Barn swallows, 4 Peregrines, 27 Eleonora's, 15 White and 1 Yellow wagtails, 1 Willow warbler, 1 Winchat, 10 Common redstarts, 1 Skylark, 6 Balearic warblers. On the way back some 130 Scopoli's and 80 Balearic shearwaters.

Albufera, Friday 12th

1 Great reed warbler heard, 2 Moustached warblers, 4 Marble ducks and many Night herons at the Gran Canal, 1 Little bittern showing extremely well and for a long time by sa Roca bridge, the 2 Spoonbills, many Snipes, Spotted redshanks, Common teals, Shovelers, Mallards, Purple swamphens at sa Roca hides, and 2 Pintails at Cibollar 1 hide.

Last edited:
Boat trip in Alcudia and Pollença bays, Saturday 13th

5 Peregrines at cap Pinar, more than 100 Scopoli's in the crossing of Pollença bay, 23 Eleonora's, many of them chasing migrants, around Cap Formentor. And one Willow warbler entered the boat cabin trying to escape from the falcons.

HI
Would someone be able to explain where S'illot playa de muro is for me? Not come across that one before
Thanks

Unless things have changed since my last visit, it's an area that's not strictly open to the public, so not somewhere to go birding.

Martin

Last edited:
Never had a issue with Silott, Playa de Muro in 17 years, parking is a problem so it can be a bit of a walk from the hotels on the opposite side of the road on the MA12, its between Salbufera and Can picafort, plenty of people run/cycle down the track at the weekend.
Montague's harrier Salbufera x3
Northern Wheatear Salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN0411 (1024x735).jpg
    DSCN0411 (1024x735).jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0456 (1024x734).jpg
    DSCN0456 (1024x734).jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0410 (1024x731).jpg
    DSCN0410 (1024x731).jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0465 (1024x732).jpg
    DSCN0465 (1024x732).jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 25
Majorca Sept 2018

Rock Sparrows, Cap Salines.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN0551 (1024x731).jpg
    DSCN0551 (1024x731).jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0555 (1024x734).jpg
    DSCN0555 (1024x734).jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0559 (1024x733).jpg
    DSCN0559 (1024x733).jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0561 (1024x731).jpg
    DSCN0561 (1024x731).jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Steve. Important photos because I was wondering if some Rock sparrows get overlooked in Mallorca. There were some House sparrows in with this flock thus giving a good side-by-side comparison.
The Rock sparrows appeared stockier with a more stout bill and overall with more variegated plumage. The field guides say the lower mandible is pinkish but all the ones I saw appeared yellowish. The supercillium is also bolder but the lighter underparts aren’t always obvious and neither is the yellow throat patch visible at this time of the year.
We now all know about this site in the latter part of August and September but I wonder how many other unknown sites there are on the Island. Previous to this site, we all had to flog up to Cap Blanc in the height of summer in the hopes of getting a glimpse of one and even then we often came away empty handed. The birds are far best seen early in the morning as Graham kindly confirmed. Totals appear to be about thirty birds. They also clearly bred somewhere in Mallorca as there were juveniles in with the adults. I’m not sure anybody knows exactly where though.
Any further information on these enigmatic little beauties would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Birds seen today at la Gola

Hello,
here you have the link to the bird list of from the 1st-15th of October and the birds seen today at the park (attached picture). The female Red-crested Pochard is still at Síller stream together with the juvenile Night Heron.
And today I have seen three Black Vultures, not in the park (of course ;)), but seen quite well from the bridge of Síller.

https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

Remind that next weeks are the right time for the passage of Yellow-browed Warbler here in Mallorca :)

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• bird list.jpg
    bird list.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder about Yellow-browed warblers Cristina.
Last year was very good for this species and I managed to catch up with a couple of them locally.
Thanks for the list too, La Gola is one of my favourite places, a little oasis in the centre of town.

I forgot to say that the Rock sparrows can be located by their distinctive call, they are very vocal.
Mike

Easterlies backing Northerly over the weekend. Hoping that's good for migration through Mallorca? I'll be off down Punt de N'amer to start off with as I'm in Sa Coma. See where it takes me after that (as much as family allows)

Hi Lancsbirder. Good idea, I have noted the winds which look terrific.
Porto Colom was very productive last year so I’m heading there.
I will also be at the Cap at the weekend, probably both Saturday and Sunday.
Let’s hope some good birds are blown our way. The UK has had some ultra-rare species in the last few days so there is no reason why we shouldn’t also get lucky here!
Mike

Visit to Albufera, Depuradora and S’Amarador.
Great to see John and Liz (beckcottage birder).
Birds seen included 2 Spoonbills, 1 Glossy Ibis, 1 Osprey, Marsh Harriers, Kestrels, Snipes, Spotted redshanks, Greenshanks, Dunlins, Lapwings, Blackwinged Stilts, Night herons, Cattle egrets, dunlins, little ring plovesrs, kentish plovers, 2 Pintails, Whinchats, Wheatears, Stonechats, Reed warbler, Swarms of starlings, Hoopoes, linnets, goldfinches, greenfinch, cetti and fan tailed warblers.

Bad weather on its way may bring new birds

No Problem Mike, I Think Kevin was quite pleased with them as well.
Moustached Warbler Salbufera x 2.
Osprey Salbufera.
B H G Salbufera, rung as a chick in Central France 13 June 2018.
Had no joy finding the ringer of the Little Stint in previous post, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN0491 (1024x732).jpg
    DSCN0491 (1024x732).jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0507 (729x1024).jpg
    DSCN0507 (729x1024).jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0690 (1024x735).jpg
    DSCN0690 (1024x735).jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0733 (1024x734).jpg
    DSCN0733 (1024x734).jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 21
Hello!

A Common Rosefinch seen at la Gola. Near the Bird centre. We have seen it just where the huge tamarisk (tree) is, before the first bridge. It was calling and perched on dead branches of a small tamarisk. A juvenile.
Cheers.
Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back