• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade Nikon Body (1 Viewer)

JTF

My current setup is a Nikon D50 w/80-400vr. I plan on keeping the D50 for non-wildlife images but am looking for suggestions to use the same lense (80-400vr) for birding with a new body. Would the D90 be a decent body to work with this lense. I have thought about a D7000 but there appears to be an issue with oil spots showing up in images over and over even after cleaning.

I have a D300 which has good focussing power to operate the 80-400VR. I love it actually. (Though prefer AF-S lenses)
You still might get a D300s at a good price new. Otherwise they've just announced a D800 which looks good on paper but maybe worth waiting for a D400 which may be possible later this year if you want the latest.

I think the D300/s have more powerful focussing drives than the D7000 which is better for the non af-s 80-400VR.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

I've seen a couple of examples of the "spots" problem on the D7000, but that is relatively rare. I have two D7000 cameras without any issues. It is a fantastic camera and outperforms the D90 as well as the D300/D300s in most respects.

The D7000 has a newer AF system, better color, better dynamic range, better high ISO performance, better video, and a number of other features. The D300s is a fine camera and it's main strengths would be a faster frame rate, possibly faster AF system, more AF sensors in the corners, and a better build. You would probably not replace a D300s with a D7000 since the differences are so small, but buying new, just go for the latest technology of the D7000.

I'll be getting the D7000 once they start arriving back into the UK, I have done so much researching and it appears to outdo the other Nikons in its price bracket. Admittedly the D700 and The new D800 are better but at a cost.

The spots are caused by dust which you will get on any sensor. That's just about looking after the camera, there are also cleaning products available for this but you wouldn't want to be using them too often.

Good luck getting what suits you, and let us know how you get on.

Normally spots are caused by dust and those are easily dealt with. The D7000 issue I have seen on tow cameras is believed to be related to something else - possibly lubricant of some sort. It's quite rare to have that problem and we don't know all the details.

I would not hesitate on getting a D7000 over the "spots" issue. Its a great camera and has a number of features found int eh D4 and D800.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the lubricant issue was addressed in the meantime. Reports I have seen date back a while -or the cameras were of the 1st production generation-.

Currently the D7000 is THE upgrade option unless you want to go full frame.
The D300s is/was (now officially listed as discontinued) a pimped D300 and is now by dSLR standards very much dated.

It's still a great camera, no question and I love mine, but the D7000 will give you more bang for the buck. In particular over the D90, as it offers a number of features that were previously limited to the D300 and higher models.

Or you can look for a used D300(s) for a good price.

Or wait for a couple more weeks. With the D300s listed as discontinued I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon announces a new higher end crop body in the near future. However, such a new camera could be initially ~$1000 more than the current D7000. So here's where the budget comes into play .....

Ulli

I'd get a d300s over a D7000 for a number of reasons, af points and cross hair type numbers, menu system, button layout, CF cards, weather and dust proofing, battery grip, takes EL4 batteries and delivers 8fps etc etc. there's a few reasons why Nikon lists the 300's as pro slrs and the 7000 as consumer. The only option is wait for the real replacement for d300s the hopefully soon to be announced dxxx

Nikon's Nobuaki Sasagaki said; "Officially, the D800 has not replaced the D700 in Nikon's range of DSLRs, and Sasagaki said that, so long as there is demand for the D700, Nikon will continue to produce the bodies."

Normally spots are caused by dust and those are easily dealt with. The D7000 issue I have seen on tow cameras is believed to be related to something else - possibly lubricant of some sort. It's quite rare to have that problem and we don't know all the details.

I would not hesitate on getting a D7000 over the "spots" issue. Its a great camera and has a number of features found int eh D4 and D800.

If that's the case I too wouldn't hesitate buying it and would expect the fault to show within the warranty period and I would then return it although this would be rather irritating.

For me, D300s for the faster buffer, but I do a lot of action work. The problem with these cameras though is that they're very difficult to get hold of. D7000 actually has an inflated price now on Amazon. God knows how difficult it's going to be to get hold of a D4 or D800. If you place an order now, you might see one in time for Xmas.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back