• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light transmission spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

The Meopta Meostar S2 HD scope seems to have extremely good transmission for a scope, 92% daylight and 88% Twilight.

Looking at Gijs van Ginkel's article/test on telescopes from 2010, none of the scopes (zeiss, nikon, swaro, kowa, leica, kite) seem to reach 85% daylight and hardly 80% twilight.

And the latest ATS from Swaro states 86% transmission (confirmed by measurements by Gijs).

Is the Meopta scope that good?

Any thoughts about this?

Meopta testing equipment & methods

Here is some info of their test equipment with accuracy, if they can test the transmission of an assembled binocular with these instruments ?

http://www.meopta.cz/en/spectral-laboratory-1404042028.html

http://www.meopta.cz/en/measurement-methods-development-1404042013.html

They specify daylight & twilight transmission values for their binoculars. If someone else, like Gijs, has measured a meopta binocular and those values are similar to those specified by meopta...then maybe we can draw some conclusions on the validity of measured values of the scopes since they surely have used the same method, i guess...

Anders

Here is some info of their test equipment with accuracy, if they can test the transmission of an assembled binocular with these instruments ?

http://www.meopta.cz/en/spectral-laboratory-1404042028.html

http://www.meopta.cz/en/measurement-methods-development-1404042013.html

They specify daylight & twilight transmission values for their binoculars. If someone else, like Gijs, has measured a meopta binocular and those values are similar to those specified by meopta...then maybe we can draw some conclusions on the validity of measured values of the scopes since they surely have used the same method, i guess...

Anders

looks solid to me, I think they know what they are doing!
:)

who knows, they could be using Schott HT glass or something similar.

Don't know why scopes traditionally have had lower transmission figures than the best binoculars, but more and thicker glass perhaps, difficulties with SP-prisms perhaps, but they get better and better.

Think the meopta scope looks very interesting and could be my next scope,
but its a bit difficult to find in stores in sweden,

looks solid to me, I think they know what they are doing!

who knows, they could be using Schott HT glass or something similar.

Don't know why scopes traditionally have had lower transmission figures than the best binoculars, but more and thicker glass perhaps, difficulties with SP-prisms perhaps, but they get better and better.

Think the meopta scope looks very interesting and could be my next scope,
but its a bit difficult to find in stores in sweden,

I've been using the S2 for about a year now and continue to be seriously impressed! When I was deciding on a purchase I had it side-by-side with a Swaro 80mm ATM HD and kept the Meopta, sent the Swaro packing.

If you opt for the 30-60x eyepiece you might try to see it ahead of time. Between 30 and 40x it actually has some real AMD (angular momentum distortion) when panning. I say "actually real" because some of the talk about "rolling ball" on Birdforum is fictional. ;)

Anyway, I notice the AMD at low powers when panning but it doesn't bother me. This spring I've been using the S2 for migrants on the water and typically have it around 45x. Just a lovely, bright and wide view. Take it up to 60x and the brightness drops off barely at all. Very nice!

Mark

Last edited:
I've been using the S2 for about a year now and continue to be seriously impressed! When I was deciding on a purchase I had it side-by-side with a Swaro 80mm ATM HD and kept the Meopta, sent the Swaro packing.

If you opt for the 30-60x eyepiece you might try to see it ahead of time. Between 30 and 40x it actually has some real AMD (angular momentum distortion) when panning. I say "actually real" because some of the talk about "rolling ball" on Birdforum is fictional. ;)

Anyway, I notice the AMD at low powers when panning but it doesn't bother me. This spring I've been using the S2 for migrants on the water and typically have it around 45x. Just a lovely, bright and wide view. Take it up to 60x and the brightness drops off barely at all. Very nice!

Mark

thanks for info,
S2 seems to be top notch!

AMD I guess comes with the large AFOV at lower mag,
and field flatteners?
don't think it will be a big problem,

The 20-70x zoom has less AFOV at low mag,
and I suspect that it could be better in this aspect?

I hope to try both,
people seem to like large AFOV now a days,
but a 20-70x mag I think could be valuable,
in low light (large exit pupil at 20x) and long distance viewing

Last edited:
Good deal. Let us know what you think about this scope.:t:

I get the impression the 20-70x is a more conventional zoom, hence no AMD. I haven't seen it though, so I can't say.

Mark

A few remarks about the Meopta S2

I don't have the lab equipment to measure transmission, but I have tested the S2 alongside a Swaro ATX 95 pretty thoroughly and extensively, including side-by-side outdoor resolution tests with the Swaro stopped down to 82 mm to eliminate aperture differences. Throughout, my impression was that the ATX was marginally brighter and had slightly more vibrant and realistic colors, so I would doubt that the S2 would measure higher in transmission tests. It is possible that Meopta's transmission figures are for the scope without eyepiece, in which case the total transmission for scope/ep combo would end up somewhere in the 85 % range, but this is speculation on my part.

In any case, the Meopta is plenty bright enough and in practice the equal of any comparably sized top scope in this respect. As an aside, I feel that the importance of light transmission percentage has been exaggerated on this forum lately. I'm very happy that Gijs has been doing his lab tests and posting his results, and find them valuable and reliable, but since it is the only significant optical parameter that gets objectively tested, it gets more exposure than it needs. For spotting scopes, having an aberration-free sample with very low CA is more important, and for this reason a Kowa 883 is going to give better real-life performance than any 80 mm Swarovski or an 82 mm Leica, for example.

But I digress.

Back to the Meopta. All the S2 samples I have seen thus far have been very well corrected and given a sharp image up to 70x. In my view, it is the best under-85 mm scope currently available. Both zoom eyepieces are fine, but the AMD "feature" Mark mentions with the 30-60x zoom is definitely real. That eyepiece has incredibly wide FOV at 30-40x mags, wider at 30x than any of the fixed 30x wide-angles, including the Nikon 30x DS. But the way they got it without compromising eye-relief is by "squeezing" the edges at the low end of the magnification range, hence the AMD. But since the view is sharp to the edge, the view is eminently usable throughout the field of view and throughout the zoom range.

I still ended up liking the 20-70x zoom better. It has equally good eye-relief to the 30-60x, is also sharp to the edge throughout its range, is very easy to view and offers acceptably good fields of view and excellent sharpness all the way to 70x. The magnification range is just about perfect for an 82 mm scope, and it won't make you dizzy while panning. Whether the wide zoom will depends on the user. I was not overly bothered by it, nor was one friend of mine who hates "rolling ball" in binoculars.

With either zoom, the Meopta would be an excellent choice.

Kimmo

Last edited:
A few remarks about the Meopta S2

I don't have the lab equipment to measure transmission, but I have tested the S2 alongside a Swaro ATX 95 pretty thoroughly and extensively, including side-by-side outdoor resolution tests with the Swaro stopped down to 82 mm to eliminate aperture differences. Throughout, my impression was that the ATX was marginally brighter and had slightly more vibrant and realistic colors, so I would doubt that the S2 would measure higher in transmission tests. It is possible that Meopta's transmission figures are for the scope without eyepiece, in which case the total transmission for scope/ep combo would end up somewhere in the 85 % range, but this is speculation on my part.

In any case, the Meopta is plenty bright enough and in practice the equal of any comparably sized top scope in this respect. As an aside, I feel that the importance of light transmission percentage has been exaggerated on this forum lately. I'm very happy that Gijs has been doing his lab tests and posting his results, and find them valuable and reliable, but since it is the only significant optical parameter that gets objectively tested, it gets more exposure than it needs. For spotting scopes, having an aberration-free sample with very low CA is more important, and for this reason a Kowa 883 is going to give better real-life performance than any 80 mm Swarovski or an 82 mm Leica, for example.

But I digress.

Back to the Meopta. All the S2 samples I have seen thus far have been very well corrected and given a sharp image up to 70x. In my view, it is the best under-85 mm scope currently available. Both zoom eyepieces are fine, but the AMD "feature" Mark mentions with the 30-60x zoom is definitely real. That eyepiece has incredibly wide FOV at 30-40x mags, wider at 30x than any of the fixed 30x wide-angles, including the Nikon 30x DS. But the way they got it without compromising eye-relief is by "squeezing" the edges at the low end of the magnification range, hence the AMD. But since the view is sharp to the edge, the view is eminently usable throughout the field of view and throughout the zoom range.

In still ended up liking the 20-70x zoom better. It has equally good eye-relief to the 30-60x, is also sharp to the edge throughout its range, is very easy to view and offers acceptably good fields of view and excellent sharpness all the way to 70x. The magnification range is just about perfect for an 82 mm scope, and it won't make you dizzy while panning. Whether the wide zoom will depends on the user. I was not overly bothered by it, nor was one friend of mine who hates "rolling ball" in binoculars.

With either zoom, the Meopta would be an excellent choice.

Kimmo

thanks for your mini-review,
very interesting to hear your experience of the S2,
(I like the Kowa to (low CA)),

and thanks for explaining the transmission figures,
didn't occurred to me that it was body only...
I guess meopta could be clearer on this,
not many people will use the scope without the eyepiece,
;)

Last edited:
Vespo,

I don't know if the published Meopta figure for transmission is supposed to be for the scope body only or the scope with an eyepiece. On Meopta's webpage under specifications, it has the transmission figures you posted, 92 % day and 88 % night transmission, but does not specifically state what this is for, just the body or the complete scope. In the specs, all the other data is only for the body except for fields of view which are given for the two zooms separately. But, knowing the complexity of the optical design and what are real transmission figures for various other top optics from Zeiss HT binoculars to various other spotting scopes, I find it very likely that the figure is for the body only.

You are right that it were good if Meopta were clearer on this, but until they are or someone with suitable test setup measures the Meopta (Gijs, this is for you), we won't know for sure what it is.

But what my eye tells me is that the Meopta is not quite Swaro ATX level in transmission, but not much behind either.

Kimmo

I have sent a question to meopta
about the transmission in the whole optical system incl. the eyepiece,
we'll see if they will get back to me,

I found the transmission figures for the eye pieces in the meopta pdf-brochure,
so if I got the figures correct the total transmission for the Meostar S2 HD (angled scope) with the 30-60x WA EP is:

Daylight: 92% (scope) x 92% (eyepiece) = 85%
Twilight (480nm**): 88% (scope) x 89% (eye piece) = 78%

(the 20-80x EP has 88% transmission at twilight)

under catalogs, the pdf can be found

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/downloads.html

**"TO2tm TWILIGHTOPTIMIZEDOPTICS
Our proprietary ion-assisted anti-reflective lens coatings – combined with high-performance Schott glass – minimize light absorption in the optical system and maximize the transmission of low light wavelengths during critical twilight conditions.Optimized to deliver the highest possible light transmission rates in the 480nm (twilight) range of the visible light spectrum. This optimization guarantees the brightest optical performance."

"MEOBRIGHTtm ION-ASSISTED MULTI-COATING
Our proprietary, high-performance ion-assisted multi-coating featured on MeoStar® R1, MeoPro® and MeoTac® series riflescopes, Meo-
Star® and MeoPro® binoculars and MeoStar® S2 HD spotting scopes. MeoBrighttm delivers an outstanding 99.7% light transmission per lens surface while suppressing reflections and glare."

Last edited:
Response from Meopta:

"Thank you for your email and interest in the MeoStar S2 HD spotting scope.
The overall light transmission of either the angled or straight body with either the 30-60x WA or 20-70x eyepieces is 85%.
"

I've been puzzling over the cutaway view of the angled S2 scope in the catalogue. The prism is labeled "Schmidt-Pechan", but the visual representation of the prism cluster is essentially an unreadable blob. A search through prism types turns up no example of a Schmidt-Pechan configured for 45º deflection. I don't think it's possible, but even if it is, why would it be done when the Schmidt part of the cluster is all that's needed to produce an angled scope? That's what's done in all the other high end angled scopes. Oddly, Schmidt-Pechan is also specified for the straight version of the S2 (as in Leica, Zeiss an Nikon EDG), but pictures of the exterior of the straight S2 show the dog-leg shape typical of a Porro (as in Swarovski and Kowa).

Just to be clear, any references of light tranmission published for the MeoStar S2 spotting scope are for the body only. Light transmissions for the eyepieces are calculated separately.

the cabelas euro spotting scope gets a very good review (its made by meopta and the same optics as the
meopta s2 HD + 20-70x eye piece)

When is a $2,200 optic a great buy? When it’s a big, durable, stunning spotting scope that competes with other European optics costing nearly twice as much.

We struggled with bestowing our value award on an optic priced out of reach of many hunters, but the test team kept returning to the Cabela’s performance—it won our resolution test and placed second to the 95mm Swarovski in our low-light test. It wowed the team with its tight, precise controls, its hard-wearing magnesium chassis, and its comfortable, look-all-day eyebox.

Cabela’s was smart to partner with Czech optics maker Meopta on this unit, as well as Meopta’s entire line of Euro optics. The Euro HD is available with either a straight or angled eyepiece, and it ships with Meopta’s Meopix adapter for iPhones, allowing you to take telescopic pictures with your phone’s camera.

Configuration: 20-70X80
Price: $2,199
Overall Score: ★ ★ ★ ★
Optical Quality: A+
Perceived Image: A
Performance: A
Design/Durability: A
Price/Value: A-
Verdict: A first-rate scope. Wonderful glass in a durable housing. Generous eyebox lets you spot all day.

http://blog.sportsmanpages.com/tag/andrew-mckean/page/5/

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back