Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding locations near York

Old Monday 16th May 2005, 15:37   #1
RobinD

Birding locations near York

I will be working in York on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and will have a bit of free time before and after work (I hope!).

Can anyone recommend any sites near York for birds that are hard to come by in Berkshire? (e.g. Wood Warbler, Dipper...). I will have a car.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Old Monday 16th May 2005, 16:24   #2
trealawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD
I will be working in York on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and will have a bit of free time before and after work (I hope!).

Can anyone recommend any sites near York for birds that are hard to come by in Berkshire? (e.g. Wood Warbler, Dipper...). I will have a car.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Wheldrake Ings is a nice wetlands just south of the city off the A19. You may get a few passage waders and terns this time of year.

When I lived there, I used to travel over to the Strid at Bolton Abbey near near Ilkley for Wood Warbler, Dipper, Pied Flycatcher etc, but that's about an hours drive. Not sure if there is a place really close to York for these species.

There are plenty of great places in Yorkshire if you want to travel about a bit.
Old Monday 16th May 2005, 16:28   #3
trealawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trealawboy
Wheldrake Ings is a nice wetlands just south of the city off the A19. You may get a few passage waders and terns this time of year.

When I lived there, I used to travel over to the Strid at Bolton Abbey near near Ilkley for Wood Warbler, Dipper, Pied Flycatcher etc, but that's about an hours drive. Not sure if there is a place really close to York for these species.

There are plenty of great places in Yorkshire if you want to travel about a bit.

Oh, you could get Nightjar at Skipwith Common too. Again just south if the city, via the B road from Escrick.

http://www.tka.co.uk/yoc/
Old Monday 16th May 2005, 18:50   #4
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Guaranteed both at Spa Gill Woods (especially WW) near Ripon. The Dipper will be on the river that runs thru the woods (obviously)

John.
Old Monday 16th May 2005, 20:20   #5
stanacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barclay
Guaranteed both at Spa Gill Woods (especially WW) near Ripon. The Dipper will be on the river that runs thru the woods (obviously)

John.
Hi John
Can you give me directions to spa Gill Woods.
Many thanks
Stan.
Old Tuesday 17th May 2005, 10:03   #6
RobinD

Thanks for the advice. Spa Gill Woods look to be at SE255689, north west of Fountains Abbey. Hopefully I will get a bit of time to look around!

Regards,

Robin
Old Tuesday 17th May 2005, 10:07   #7
Hotspur
James Spencer

Apparently according to local birders Skipwith isnt so good for nightjars these days

Last Yorks: Blyth's Reed Warbler (332)

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: