• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

Just had two more Red Kites but unlike yesterday’s bird which seemed to be prospecting, these two were almost certainly migrating, circling higher and drifting northwards, my only slight doubt is that one of them (perhaps both but I lost the second) eventually went back west, perhaps deterred by a bank of cloud and the wall of mountains they would need to get across if they continued on their initial track.

Anyway, a case of little and large as the latest addition for the year flitted into one of the conifers:

58 Firecrest

Very much a migrant breeder here, absent between September and mid to late March

Wow, a lot of raptors spotted So far! That's amazing!

No new additions. I'm probably going to close this list before I move In April.

I did, however, have a great horned owl in front of my house. I was finally able to get a video of him up close. He actually went after a couple of small birds that I could not identify. Seeing an owl in action was awesome.

Nice one Jared, what kind of birds do you think the owl was after? Hope the move goes OK in these tricky times. Do you think you’ll get a canine companion once you’ve settled into the new place?

I actually still have a canine companion. His name is Buster, and he was ladybirds best friend. Her passing has been rough on him. I'm giving him a lot of interaction.

As for the bird the owl was after, I'm not sure. My best guess was maybe a house finch.

On a roll this am....c15 Greenfinches over South East at 6.15am, Chiffchaff at 6.30am, 25 finches S.East that were too distant to ID at 6.35am, followed by 15 Chaffinches East at 6.58am and what I initially thought was a large flock of (black dot) Cormorants coming my way....morphed into no.146 on my all time garden list with 33 Brent Geese high and South East...including the Greenfinch no.61.....well they were distant. :eek!:

Attachments

• P2180563.jpeg    Flying geese 5..jpeg
    P2180563.jpeg Flying geese 5..jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P2180572.jpeg    Flying geese.jpeg
    P2180572.jpeg Flying geese.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
17 Dark-eyed Junco

Turned up under the feeders yesterday. They've been around locally most of winter I think, but clearly had better offers than my selection!

March 19th:

#33. Wood Pigeon
#34. Grey Heron

March 20th

#35. Great Cormorant

March 23rd

#36. Bean Goose - Strangely four birds flew to the south.

March 24th

#37. Buzzard
#38. Skylark

25 March

So far this morning three additions to the total list:

28. Pied Wagtail (local bird, over North then back South later)
29. Sparrowhawk (female, high)
30. Goldcrest 2, hedge beyond brook

Also ran the moth trap last night

Hebrew Character 3
Common Quaker 3

Fairly happy this morning!

John

25 March

So far this morning three additions to the total list:

28. Pied Wagtail (local bird, over North then back South later)
29. Sparrowhawk (female, high)
30. Goldcrest 2, hedge beyond brook

Also ran the moth trap last night

Hebrew Character 3
Common Quaker 3

Fairly happy this morning!

John

Considering starting mine but the nights are still cold here in the bleak E. Mids.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back