• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beachy Head and Cuckmere Valley (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

A brilliant day with my birdwatching group yesterday at these two locations, with nearly 40 species recorded.

Stars of the day were 3 Peregrine Falcon, a flock of 42 Curlew, 3 Rock Pipit, 3 Oystercatcher, a Wheatear and for me a new tick - Stonechat. So many Stonechats in fact that I cannot believe that I haven't seen one before! As this was high on my wish list, I was very happy.

Still plenty of Swallows and Martins about and Meadowpipits in abundance.

An exceptionally high tide, which had just started to race out, meant that the mudbanks were covered and so we were a bit disappointed not to see more waders. It was a very sunny day, wind from the north west which was very strong on the top of Beachy Head but not felt lower down.

We had hoped to see Ring Ouzel but there were none about. Nevertheless, a brilliant day's birding.

Pat

Hi Pat

Sounds like a good day. I go to Cuckmere Haven alot and have also been amazed at the numbers of stonechat, about 40, the last time I went. And at Birling Gap last week over 30, I think it must have been a good year for them. To see 3 peregrines in one day is exceptional. I have only ever seen one once at Cuckmere Haven. (See my BD thread, "A Day at Birling Gap".)

Joanne

pstraughan said:
A brilliant day with my birdwatching group yesterday at these two locations, with nearly 40 species recorded.

Stars of the day were 3 Peregrine Falcon, a flock of 42 Curlew, 3 Rock Pipit, 3 Oystercatcher, a Wheatear and for me a new tick - Stonechat. So many Stonechats in fact that I cannot believe that I haven't seen one before! As this was high on my wish list, I was very happy.

Still plenty of Swallows and Martins about and Meadowpipits in abundance.

An exceptionally high tide, which had just started to race out, meant that the mudbanks were covered and so we were a bit disappointed not to see more waders. It was a very sunny day, wind from the north west which was very strong on the top of Beachy Head but not felt lower down.

We had hoped to see Ring Ouzel but there were none about. Nevertheless, a brilliant day's birding.

Pat

I was there a few weeks back and it's a magical place. The trees were packed with chiffchaff waiting to fly home, are they still around?

paulwfromtheden said:
I was there a few weeks back and it's a magical place. The trees were packed with chiffchaff waiting to fly home, are they still around?

We only heard 1 Chiffchaff making the huittt noise.

Pat

joannechattaway said:
Hi Pat

Sounds like a good day. I go to Cuckmere Haven alot and have also been amazed at the numbers of stonechat, about 40, the last time I went. And at Birling Gap last week over 30, I think it must have been a good year for them. To see 3 peregrines in one day is exceptional. I have only ever seen one once at Cuckmere Haven. (See my BD thread, "A Day at Birling Gap".)

Joanne

The 3 Peregrine were all near the Beachy Head lighthouse and were roosted for a time on the pinnacles behind it. One was feeding.

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back