• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital Artwork Gear (1 Viewer)

Hi. I've used a Wacom and the latest ones are cool. Don't know if you've made the investment. You'll need to power through the frustration - hand drawing elsewhere to where the line is appearing.

I'm sorry I've not joined the forum earlier or I could have made a more timely contribution. There is the assumption that you'll work in PhotoShop .. a painterly programme. I'm wondering what the...
distinct difference that digital artwork...
...in your original post, was. Photoshop will allow you to mimick 'painterly' work... though I personally feel PhotoShop painting is never as good as painting. PhotoShop however is not the software for the more 'digital' styles. Depending on the precise 'distinct difference' you meant you might find an illustration software package better. I found a Wacom was best with vector software like Illustrator. I'm sorry if it's a fate-a-complet and my advice has missed the boat.

No - it's not too late Lynne - I haven't commited to buying yet. I had hoped they had their own power source (I know the really expensive things do) so I'm not that interested in sitting in front of my pc doing art.
And Ian's detective work waas good re. Aldi - sadly my adled old brain gets confused and it's actually a Lidl we have in Orkney!
I think I ought to get the hang of proper paint first before going all digi.

Username was asking about tablets...Wacom as per above is the beastie, but be careful: very addictive technology

We even nearly lured Tim W into it

Username was asking about tablets...Wacom as per above is the beastie, but be careful: very addictive technology

We even nearly lured Tim W into it

Ahhhh.....[trust me to overlook this thread Ed]..!! Thanks for pointing the direction re 'tablets'....:t:

ps....i have a compulsive and somewhat addictive 'nature' when my 'interests' are peaked......[too late for heaven to help me]...;)

I use a Wacom at work the whole time now, I really have no idea how I managed to retouch anything with a mouse!

I also use the same tablet for kids illustrations now, it's great technology and you can easily get lost in it.

Mike

I've had various small Wacom tablets and pressure sensitive pens over the years but just never got the hang of them. But then I didn't have any compelling reason to pursue them either.

The one thing that I did love was a program called Painter that tried to emulate painting. It wasn't perfect but it did feel much more like painting than anything I've ever done. I actually still have a copy of it, about 3-4 years old, but just never have the time to use it.

I use Photoshop Elements for cropping my photos and not much more and have never gotten into Photoshop. For those of you who have though you might enjoy this 20 year history that I ran into yesterdayhttp://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/20-years-of-adobe-photoshop/

With a pressure sensitive tablet and some experimenting and practice you can produce drawings that emulate pencils really pretty closely and you have the advantage of layers and multiple undo's!

Mike

Attachments

• little-girl-ex.jpg
    little-girl-ex.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back