• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (2 Viewers)

I find the loss of image while taking a picture a pain but unless you go down the DSLR road it will always be noticeable as far as i know,you still get black out with a DSLR but its over so quick it feels like continues s viewing.

After switching the VR to active it did help some. But that's all irrelevant now that I got the P900 today!

It was rainy when I got home so I haven't been able to test it out yet but just from playing with it around the house I can say it is way faster than the P600 I was using. The shutter is quick to react and the autofocus is loads faster than what I had in the P600. Everything looks great about it and I can't wait to get out and USE it! I may post some photos here. Thanks for the help everyone!

If any P900 owners are looking for a good bag, I can recommend the lowepro toploader zoom 45 aw ii. It fits like a glove with no wasted space and comes with a raincover.

Just ordered one tho a bit concerned about shutter lag.

p900 makes you go into the menu to switch to manual focus, giving the bird (the bird that the autofocus is ignoring in favor of focusing on the twigs in front of it)

It has focus peaking which I've found very effective for birding on the Gx7. Price point is right and it weighs less than my Gx7 plus 100-300 Lumix combo.

Images nat as good as the MFT in wide angle with better lenses but what a reach. Like the 100-300 the sweet spot looks to be about 80% of maximum. Since I have most of my photos on line this should do fine tho I have a 4k screen and the limitations may show.

Considering I paid $600 for the Lumix 100-300 with a 600 mm equivalent.....I'm getting a lot of tech with the P900.

I went MFT for the motorcycle and will stick with that but use this for the wildlife and hopefully birding.

Thanks - he was quite accommodating in the front yard with his nose in the sun ....this is NOT a low light camera but man does it have reach.

Thanks - he was quite accommodating in the front yard with his nose in the sun ....this is NOT a low light camera but man does it have reach.

Yes i bought the P610 when the P900s where not available think i will change onto the P900 but just waiting for a price drop when they are plentiful.

I find the loss of image while taking a picture a pain but unless you go down the DSLR road it will always be noticeable as far as i know,you still get black out with a DSLR but its over so quick it feels like continues s viewing.

Just been testing my 900 on single shot. The "blackout" is so short that it lasts less time than I need to take the next shot, i.e. almost continuous shooting, as fast as I can press the shutter for next shot.

Price seems to have gone UP rather than down!

Den

After being more than happy with the P610 i bought the P900 yesterday for the extra reach,just waiting for that big yellow thing to come back to the UK,think we used to call it the sun.

through glass and not great light ...the bird setting did an excellent job under cluttered background
This was heavily cropped and I find all the photos need sharpening

dismal depth of field but given the low light and a double glass door it's okay.

Seen the p900 came into stock at Amazon (sold by Amazon not third party) so nabbed one, they were all gone within 24hours. Looking forward to the challenge of it! :)

Got a feeling i may need to use a monopod sometimes with this camera,especially if the light isnt great like this one.

Attachments

• DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0357.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 341
Full zoom and hand held which i think took the edge of it,going to try a monopod today,the trouble is it slows you down finding the bird.

Well if I can get shots like that handheld and full zoom then the camera will have been worth buying. I'm getting mine to be able to have something I can carry long distances, that can hopefully get me good enough shots of things (birds, butterflies, moths, etc). Also I am hoping the full zoom video is decent enough.
My normal gear is a 7dmkii and 500mm L lens but that gear destroyed my back recently when I was walking 12 miles a day every day on a holiday. I know the p900 quality could never match that gear but after seeing your stonechat shot and knowing its full zoom and handheld I am now more optimistic about the p900 doing the job I want it to. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back