Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opinion on buying 8x30 E II from Japan seller on amazon?

Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 01:11   #51
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

That is the versatile offer of the porro, it is a simpler instrument than the roof, and if flooded or go out of collimation, it can be cleaned and repaired by qualified experts here in the US. As Bob has stated Suddarth Optical is a very good option for optical repair.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 01:52   #52
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
I would not send my Nikon E2s into Nikon for repairs even if I still had the sales slips. I do have one for my 10x35 E2 which is a Refurb and only has a 90 day warranty. I don't want them exchanged for an "equivalent" binocular.

I would send them to Suddarth Optical Repair.

Bob
The Monarch 8x30 doesn't even work for me, with too frequent partial blackouts. It's a good optic but not an EII. I shall keep Suddarth in my address file and thank you.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 04:11   #53
peatmoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post

... and since the EII is no longer serviceable in the US, their policy is to replace the EII with a Nikon M7 8X30.
Ugh! That would be like a punch in the gut. I'm with you guys. If anything were to go wrong with my EII's, I'd send them to Cory Suddarth instead of Nikon.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 11:34   #54
MandoBear

Quote:
...and since the EII is no longer serviceable in the US, their policy is to replace the EII with a Nikon M7 8X30...
Hmm... the M7 8x30 is a nice binocular for what it is (I have one as an everyday, bung it in the bag and go, type of bino) but it's no replacement for the EII.

I'd get mine serviced by one of the local, recommended binocular repairers if it came to that.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2018, 23:26   #55
black crow

I just got the EII 10x35 out of the box about 15 min ago. It's getting late but I took them out for a spin and they have that same wonderful clarity and 3d view of the 8x30 and while the 10x fov is a generous 366ft it's noticeably narrower than the 8x. It really draws things in close however and "brutally sharp". Blows my Meopro 10x quite away.

Tomorrow I get to put these babies up against a Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and see how much difference there will be. I predict dead center clarity is a tie. Brightness, contrast and edge sharpness go to the Zeiss along with a much nicer focuser. It will be about the same as the EII 8x did against the Zeiss 8x the other day. Both being alpha binoculars IMO but the EII costing a fifth of what the Zeiss do. Seeing is believing

Btw I had to contact the seller in Japan and it's amazing how overly polite that culture is. There was a slight communication mix up and I must have seriously gotten a dozen apologies of all styles and types and they hadn't even done anything wrong. So I sent an email back in that same style praising them over and over again for their excellent service and good grasp of the English language. So then I got another email thanking me in a dozen profuse ways and apologising several times again just in case something they said might have offended me. I'm moving there next week for sure.

Last edited by black crow : Wednesday 18th April 2018 at 00:06.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 20:33   #56
jring

Quote:
Finally (after much prodding), they found the EII in their Sports Optic Line-up and could only now verify that if\when service might be needed, a copy of the receipt would be required and since the EII is no longer serviceable in the US, their policy is to replace the EII with a Nikon M7 8X30. If an Amazon purchase is a Gray Market item, then their customer service would determine the next course of action!??
Hi,

well luckily I'm not in that situation since my Chiba Special pair of E2 is working fine and certainly has no warranty any more (and only had one year in Japan).

But If I had bought an $800 pair of 8x30 E2 anniversary ed. last year (which is btw. the only E2 version which is currently sold by Nikon USA) and had to use the warranty and they got replaced by a $379 pair of M7 8x30 I would probably call my lawyer...

Joachim
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 20:41   #57
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

well luckily I'm not in that situation since my Chiba Special pair of E2 is working fine and certainly has no warranty any more (and only had one year in Japan).

But If I had bought an $800 pair of 8x30 E2 anniversary ed. last year (which is btw. the only E2 version which is currently sold by Nikon USA) and had to use the warranty and they got replaced by a $379 pair of M7 8x30 I would probably call my lawyer...

Joachim
I Hear That! Although, you would think\hope that since the 100th Annv. model is supported by NSO, it Would get sent to Japan for any repairs!?!

Ted

Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 21:10   #58
bluespiderweb
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
I just got the EII 10x35 out of the box about 15 min ago. It's getting late but I took them out for a spin and they have that same wonderful clarity and 3d view of the 8x30 and while the 10x fov is a generous 366ft it's noticeably narrower than the 8x. It really draws things in close however and "brutally sharp". Blows my Meopro 10x quite away.

Tomorrow I get to put these babies up against a Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and see how much difference there will be. I predict dead center clarity is a tie. Brightness, contrast and edge sharpness go to the Zeiss along with a much nicer focuser. It will be about the same as the EII 8x did against the Zeiss 8x the other day. Both being alpha binoculars IMO but the EII costing a fifth of what the Zeiss do. Seeing is believing

Btw I had to contact the seller in Japan and it's amazing how overly polite that culture is. There was a slight communication mix up and I must have seriously gotten a dozen apologies of all styles and types and they hadn't even done anything wrong. So I sent an email back in that same style praising them over and over again for their excellent service and good grasp of the English language. So then I got another email thanking me in a dozen profuse ways and apologising several times again just in case something they said might have offended me. I'm moving there next week for sure.
LOL! You sure know how to tell a good story, BC! Thanks for the lift today! Good views to you with the new EII 10's! Yes, they are nice, aren't they?!

Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 23:36   #59
black crow

I can't believe how "brutally sharp" they are. (I love saying "brutally sharp" ever since I read that in the reviews lol) They do feel a little restricted after looking through those 8x however, even with the 366 ft Fov. That's really about the only difference I noted other than they are bigger and heavier and less steady in the hand. I'm thanking you again. When I came back here I was looking for that one special lead to a great new optic and it turned out to be you.
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 00:42   #60
bluespiderweb
BF Supporter 2018

I don't know if I am to blame or to thank, but I agree they are speical too, the 10x35 EII's. There is enough of the magic in the view to please, and really the weight difference is minimal between them and the 8x30's. Just the field of view, and for a 10x, 366 is really tops, all considered.

I'm sure the Zeiss Habichts are equally transforming in view, just not as wide in either power. Only you can decide if you have enough of whatever it is that turns you on to a binocular-and you only know by trying. So if you are still conflicted about the Swarovski Habicht's then find out for real by looking through them yourself. It's the only way to know for sure. Find a good retailer that allows returns, and see what fits for you.

It seems that you really like the wide field views however, so the EII's may be the best match for you, even if you were to throw in the SE's into the mix, which are the other premium Porro binoculars in the options you have. They have a flatter field of view that is sharper across the FOV, but not as wide as the EII's.

I think you have met your match, just from your comments about the EII's. If that is so, then you are a lucky lad! Then all you have to do is enjoy them!

And have a back up for rainy weather in whatever configurations that work for you. It seems your Kowa gets you there, but maybe a Swaro Habicht in an appropriate power will do you better.

Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 01:29   #61
black crow

I think you meant to say the Swaro Habicht. I just had these 10x out for a look see on a perfect sunny spring late afternoon. If anything this sample is the best of all of them. I have never had more stunning, sharper or more beautiful views on anything I've ever looked through. I can not believe these cost a mere $500. Had the price been $2000 I would have thought them a great buy. Especially after looking through the Zeiss Victorys. I can't wait to compare these to those Zeiss in the 10x tomorrow. I'm so wowed by these that I'm going way out on a limb and say I'll like these better due to the 3D effect. I'm just totally blown away by this binocular. I cannot believe what I'm seeing in these. Stunned is the right word.
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 01:50   #62
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I think you meant to say the Swaro Habicht. I just had these 10x out for a look see on a perfect sunny spring late afternoon. If anything this sample is the best of all of them. I have never had more stunning, sharper or more beautiful views on anything I've ever looked through. I can not believe these cost a mere $500. Had the price been $2000 I would have thought them a great buy. Especially after looking through the Zeiss Victorys. I can't wait to compare these to those Zeiss in the 10x tomorrow. I'm so wowed by these that I'm going way out on a limb and say I'll like these better due to the 3D effect. I'm just totally blown away by this binocular. I cannot believe what I'm seeing in these. Stunned is the right word.
IMHO...forget the Habichts & Enjoy these EIIs. After all of the optic goals you've stated, believe you have found everything you want in the 8X30 and 10X35...Good For You John!

Ted

Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 02:15   #63
black crow

I don't think I'd find a better overall optic in the Habicht. However I do like their small size and weight for hiking and their waterproofness for winter hiking. And they look like a little work of art. So I think I might end up with a pair but not because I think they will be a better binocular than the EII. I don't think that likely anymore. I'll sell my newly acquired Kowa Genesis 8x and Meopro 10x and trade them for most of the cost of the Habicht.
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 21:55   #64
bluespiderweb
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Well, no, I meant to include the SE's. After all, they are a premium Porro, and my 8x30 SE seems to outperform my EII, for sharpness alone. That is what I saw when I compared the two a while ago. My SE's are stowed away, and I'm using my EII's, I don't really know why. But I also like the EII's very much-not hard to like, for sure! And the EII's are lighter, and more compact besides as well.

Not sure if I would prefer any Habicht to the SE's, and I doubt it. But I've never seen a Habicht Porro, so who knows which way I'd go, though the SE's are special too, just like the EII's. I didn't say it to confuse the issue, or you, but I wanted you to know there is another player out there, though only as a used item, and not replaceable by Nikon if you need service. But there are other repair shops that can handle Porro repairs too. Something different and unique as well as the Habichts, is all.

Waterproof the SE's are not though. Splashproof is all! ; )

Old Friday 20th April 2018, 01:41   #65
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

If one handles either the EII or the SE series porros with respect, they will go forever without any maintenance. Holger Merlitz has had I believe, the original gray EII 8X30s for years, and still going strong. I know that the focus wheel on many of these EIIs and SEs perform like new over 10 years later.

Andy W.

Old Friday 20th April 2018, 10:00   #66
black crow

I've always taken care of my possessions. It's part of my character to be efficient and careful about that. Having lived in backcountry for long periods and far from any help, all of my equipment functioning could mean life or death literally or at the least make things much less pleasant. And I bought all my equipment with that in mind. Was it durable and dependable within my budget? Was it the best bang for my buck? I had very little money back then.

While I'm no longer in such situations the habits of a lifetime are just part of what I am and it's always in the back of my mind somewhere when I'm buying. Even things of lesser quality have a good shot at lasting in my hands because whenever practical I baby them. Most people don't live this way anymore but it used to be a fairly common practice when I was growing up.

Last edited by black crow : Friday 20th April 2018 at 10:05.
Old Saturday 21st April 2018, 01:03   #67
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Those are attributes characteristic of the wise, and yes, not common these days. Your EIIs, with care, will perform flawlessly as log as you own them. I am stargazing with them tonight, using the 8X30 under these conditions (a bit cool at 38 F but not bad, no wind, crystal clear skies with a bit of moonlight and no background light pollution).

Andy W.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: