• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesmurdie Falls and Herdsman Lake (north side) (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre

Australia
Lesmurdie Falls

Saw a soaring bird of prey - probably a Little Eagle or Black Kite.
Collared Sparrowhawk landed in a tree near me.
LOTS of little brown jobs flitting around and whistling - unfortunately I'm not good at ID'ing these yet - only positive ID was the call of a New Holland Honeyeater. I think some may have been Varied Sittellas. Others were probably Weebills, Silvereyes or Yellow-Rumped Thornbills.

Herdsman Lake

Took a wander along the northern side of the lake this afternoon. The white-eyed ducks are back. Haven't seen one of them since early December in Lake Monger.

Also saw

Australasian Grebe
Australian Pelican
Australian Raven
Australian Shelduck
Black Swan
Darter
Eurasian Coot - HUNDREDS of the bloody things!
Galah
Great Crested Grebe
Great Egret
Hoary-headed Grebe
Magpie
Magpie Lark
Musk Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Purple Swamphen
Rainbow Lorikeet
Senegal Dove
Silver Gull
Silvereye
Singing Honeyeater
Straw-necked Ibis
Welcome Swallow
White-eyed Duck
White-faced Heron
Willie Wagtail
Wood Duck
Yellow-billed Spoonbill

And I'm going to do the north side of Lake Monger this evening with friends. Will post later and tell you what I see there.

A nice selection of birds there, Gemfyre. Is the White-eyed Duck the same as is called Hardhead in other parts of Australia? I'd especially like to see Musk Duck on my next trip over there, a bizarre looking bird.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back