• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod / Head help please (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

Hi,

I operate a dementia care facility and we are building a second location that has a nice view of Kaneohe Bay from the second level lani. Here's a link to our website.
http://www.halekuike.com/

I would like to have two high power (16x) binos available to the residents, staff and visitors. Our activity director thinks the residnets would enjoy checking out the bay. The old guys could see the activity on the US Marine Corps base and there's always a lot of boat action going on. I could check out the waves and cut out early when the surf is up. (I wish!)

For starters, I'm thinking about the Nikon Action 16x50's since they are inexpensive and the no fault warranty is hard to beat.

I'm not sure how to set it up. I would like to attach some type of monopod device to the hand rail / frame of the lanai. A traditional tripod on the ground would be a trip hazard. I just need a decent head and the part of the monopod that adjusts up and down for height. Ideally the height could adjust down for the bigger kids (maybe 4'6") and up high enough for the tall guys (6'4").

I didn't budget for this (cheaper the better). We don't need anything fancy. It just needs to work. The lanai is covered so I was planning on leaving the whole set up out 24/7 with some kind of cover for the binos. When the binos need service they will go back to Nikon. Last point on the tripod head. It would be best if it wasn't super easy for the residents to remove the binos. I don't want to abuse Nikon's generosity by sending back binos that have fallen off the second floor on a regular basis.

Any ideas of how to pull this off?

Thanks a lot,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back