• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Action at 15 fps, and more: Nikon 1 (1 Viewer)

A swift in the local park

There is a new tool in my toolbox: the V3. Is it better for Small BIF than the V2? In some respects, yes - superior EVF, better for BIF "over water". For other situations I'd still prefer the V2 with its larger central focus point. A high flying raptor is a pain with the V3, just an example. So I cannot recommend the V3 as a budget BIF solution. Someone looking for a fighting chance in almost every BIF scenario would still get my advise that the V2 + CX 70-300 is hard to beat, ratio-wise: BIF for buck. Not as good as a D500, yet more affordable.

OTOH, if you regard the N1 as a system operating "out of the box" without much need to tweak settings, it makes sense to own various bodies. I love the V2, but it's good to have the J5 and the V3. AF is king, unless you face a case where MF works better. A large center point is nice, unless you want a smaller one. More points to capture a high-contrast BIF? Just swap V2 -->V3.

Here is a case where I had struggled with the V2, and where the V3 was a nice improvement. Shot in the local park in a shady area => iso 3200. I felt 1/1250 seconds was enough, as the Common swift is a glider, not a flutterer. I used 20fps - not such a big difference to the 15fps of the V2, but welcome. In the first of the ten shots the swift starts to open its mouth. The five below are numbers 4-6, 8 and 9 of the series. Heavy crops, <25% of the original. So why do I believe I could not have got the same result with a V2? The main reason is the better EVF. In the shadow it was hard to see the arriving swifts.

Comments welcome. Don't hesitate to post your shots with another camera or brand. Birdforum is a relaxed place, and I guess most members recognize that the camera is just a tool in our toolbox. Fieldcraft, strategy and sheer luck are often more important.

Attachments

• Swift 1.jpg
    Swift 1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Swift 2.jpg
    Swift 2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Swift 3.jpg
    Swift 3.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Swift 4.jpg
    Swift 4.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Swift 5.jpg
    Swift 5.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
There is a new tool in my toolbox: the V3. Is it better for Small BIF than the V2? In some respects, yes - superior EVF, better for BIF "over water". For other situations I'd still prefer the V2 with its larger central focus point. A high flying raptor is a pain with the V3, just an example. So I cannot recommend the V3 as a budget BIF solution. Someone looking for a fighting chance in almost every BIF scenario would still get my advise that the V2 + CX 70-300 is hard to beat, ratio-wise: BIF for buck. Not as good as a D500, yet more affordable.

OTOH, if you regard the N1 as a system operating "out of the box" without much need to tweak settings, it makes sense to own various bodies. I love the V2, but it's good to have the J5 and the V3. AF is king, unless you face a case where MF works better. A large center point is nice, unless you want a smaller one. More points to capture a high-contrast BIF? Just swap V2 -->V3.

Here is a case where I had struggled with the V2, and where the V3 was a nice improvement. Shot in the local park in a shady area => iso 3200. I felt 1/1250 seconds was enough, as the Common swift is a glider, not a flutterer. I used 20fps - not such a big difference to the 15fps of the V2, but welcome. In the first of the ten shots the swift starts to open its mouth. The five below are numbers 4-6, 8 and 9 of the series. Heavy crops, <25% of the original. So why do I believe I could not have got the same result with a V2? The main reason is the better EVF. In the shadow it was hard to see the arriving swifts.

Comments welcome. Don't hesitate to post your shots with another camera or brand. Birdforum is a relaxed place, and I guess most members recognize that the camera is just a tool in our toolbox. Fieldcraft, strategy and sheer luck are often more important.

Nice action captures, i must get round to selling mine as i never use it now i have the m4/3.

Nice action captures, i must get round to selling mine as i never use it now i have the m4/3.
Thank you. - Good luck with your sale. It will be interesting to learn more about Nikon's new mirrorless attempt, but it seems unlikely that it translates to good news for the N1. Used N1 prices were very low in August/September 2016, and Photokina 2018 could have a similar effect.

Thank you. - Good luck with your sale. It will be interesting to learn more about Nikon's new mirrorless attempt, but it seems unlikely that it translates to good news for the N1. Used N1 prices were very low in August/September 2016, and Photokina 2018 could have a similar effect.

Yes its a shame, especially with the newer light P series 70-300 if i was keeping it i would get one.

FT1 adapter / long-distance options

Yes its a shame, especially with the newer light P series 70-300 if i was keeping it i would get one.
Indeed, N1 users at dpreview seem pretty happy with the Nikon AF-P DX 70-300mm on the FT1 adapter. The weight of 400g + 150g for the FT1 equals the 550g of the CX70-300, it's sharp and a price of Euro ~200 is affordable. A used FT1 costs about Euro 100+.

Another lens working nicely on the FT1 is the Nikon 300 PF. Unfortunately also more expensive, and not as good for BIF as the CX 70-300. So I am still on the fence regarding the FT1. I might get it as a long-distance tool, adding a Nikon 200-500 or Sigma/Tamron G2 150-600. None of these is cheap though.

Presently my long-distance tool is a low-cost solution: The ancient Sigma APO macro 400mm with two Kenko teleconverters (2x and 1.5x) ==> focal length 1,200mm. Adapted to my Nikon J5 via the "Russian adapter". The 2.7x crop allows me to watch small wading birds 150m away. What I get is illustrated by the Black-tailed godwit below. The second image shows a Wood sandpiper, a mere 30m away. In both cases (little editing) the pixel peepers will notice a bit of CA, colour aberration. The Sigma, while above average, isn't perfect. But then I had paid only Euro 90 for it... For now I can live with the "joy of manual focusing", as I use it only for occasional wader watching.

It is possible that my results would be better with a Sony Nex-7 and its ability of focus peaking. For birds in a distance of 30m the DOF of 2cm would then grow, due to the APSC sensor, to an immense 3cm.

PS. For the sake of comparison, I add a third photo of a Greenshank - also 150m away, Google maps confirmed. This shot was taken with a Canon SX50 "superzoom". The result is clearly inferior, fewer "pixels on the bird".

Attachments

• Black-tailedGodwit.jpg
    Black-tailedGodwit.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 55
  • WoodSandpiper.jpg
    WoodSandpiper.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 49
  • greenshank.jpg
    greenshank.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Thomas Stirr compares the V2 and V3 for BIF

There is a new article by Thomas Stirr comparing the V2 and V3 for birds in flight. Essential information for anybody considering to buy into the N1 system. Stirr confirms my impression that the V2 has the better AF-C:
The Nikon 1 V2 acquires focus quicker and held it more consistently than does a V3.
I warmly recommend to read the whole piece. It is interesting, because (a) the V2 is available for little money, while a used V3 + EVF costs 2-3 times as much, and (b) those who claim the Sony RX10 iv will beat the V3 at BIF are perhaps unaware that the real challenge comes from the V2. :eek!:

The V3 has unique abilities and feels like a "mini DSLR", but as a companion for trips with the need to "get the shot" of a rare bird, I'd much prefer the V2.

That said, the V3 may be superior in certain high-contrast situations due to its larger number of focus points. At this point, however, this is just my private theory. I need to check how the V2 behaves in similar cases.

Attachments

• Tern 1.jpg
    Tern 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Tern 2.jpg
    Tern 2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 44
  • Tern 3.jpg
    Tern 3.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Grey wagtail in flight

From a short series of a juvenile grey wagtail in playful mood, entertaining itself with flights from tree A to tree B, and back. It took several attempts, until the V2's focus snapped. I had to prefocus on the expected distance, the focus was locked after the first shot (60fps mode). The images shown are 70% crops of the originals, distance was perhaps 7 meters, 1/4000 sec , iso 450. Next time I'll try a higher shutter speed to freeze wing blur.

Maybe I'll start another thread in the general section. For smaller birds in flight AF-C hardly ever works. All brands are similar when you prefocus. ;)

Attachments

• Wagtail 1.jpg
    Wagtail 1.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Wagtail 2.jpg
    Wagtail 2.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Wagtail 3.jpg
    Wagtail 3.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Wagtail 4.jpg
    Wagtail 4.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back