• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sooty or Bridled Tern, Australia? (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Just updating my video library for Bridled Tern with pic 1 from Penguin Island, south of Perth when I noticed my previous example from 28 Feb 2011 as shown in pics 2 and 3. I now wonder if the old bird is Sooty Tern because of apparently broader white on forehead although it does seem to extend just beyond the eye like Bridled. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

• Bridled tern.jpg
    Bridled tern.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Tern, Bridled 'anaethetus'(1).jpg
    Tern, Bridled 'anaethetus'(1).jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Tern, Bridled 'anaethetus'.jpg
    Tern, Bridled 'anaethetus'.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 39
Bridled is supposed to have paler mantle than read head, Sooty not.

Niels

Agreed, but the exposure of image 2 & 3 seems to be making the bird darker than it probably is (note the paler shoulder on image 2).

The white seems to extend behind the eye = Bridled Tern.

Agreed, but the exposure of image 2 & 3 seems to be making the bird darker than it probably is (note the paler shoulder on image 2).

The white seems to extend behind the eye = Bridled Tern.

Agree, sorry that was not clear

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back