• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decline of Goldfinches? (1 Viewer)

I was just wondering if anyone in MA has noticed a decline in Goldfinches recently.

Thanks,

Dana

What time period are you considering Dana? I have only lived here for 8 years, so don't have anything useful to add regarding anytime prior to 2003, but I have noticed fewer in the garden than other winters. My personal theory so far has been that due to the warm weather we've had Goldfinches haven't felt a need to come to birdfeeders yet. Have you seen anything different?

What time period are you considering Dana? I have only lived here for 8 years, so don't have anything useful to add regarding anytime prior to 2003, but I have noticed fewer in the garden than other winters. My personal theory so far has been that due to the warm weather we've had Goldfinches haven't felt a need to come to birdfeeders yet. Have you seen anything different?

A friend of mine is part of the Christmas bird count in Massachusetts. They counted very small numbers of birds this Christmas time compared to any past year. I've been trying to find online evidence of such small numbers and what the reason is. He's pretty knowledgeable and was mentioning less natural food here causing the birds to head north for food. If I find anything I'll post it.

A friend of mine is part of the Christmas bird count in Massachusetts. They counted very small numbers of birds this Christmas time compared to any past year. I've been trying to find online evidence of such small numbers and what the reason is. He's pretty knowledgeable and was mentioning less natural food here causing the birds to head north for food. If I find anything I'll post it.

hmmm. I saw as many or more this spring and summer than other years, but have definitely seen fewer here in Central MA. I just figured they hadn't made it into the urban areas I've mostly been birding recently.

Here's some information from the Great Backyard Bird Count:

Why Does Your Count Matter?
As you gear up for this year’s GBBC, preliminary data coming from Audubon’s Christmas Bird Count (CBC) suggest some shifts in where birds are spending their time, perhaps due to the season’s relatively mild temperatures. Data suggest that bird species we tend to see in concentrated areas during colder temperatures are now dispersed throughout the landscape, taking advantage of the open marshes and ponds. Consider New York’s Central Park where warm temperatures may have played a role in a low bird count this holiday season. Participants tallied 3,286 birds – 3,000 fewer than last year. Citizen scientists like you can help us further monitor some of these trends. So, let’s make this year’s GBBC bigger and better than ever, and do our part to help the birds.

See ya,

Dana

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back