Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 15:43   #651
Dong Bei
Tom

Hi Owen, the gulls are Black-headed. The smallest Terns are Little Terns. The medium sized one standing in the water in the back with the dot on the side of its head is a White-winged. I don't know if the Black-capped ones are Common or Whiskered. I think Whiskered, but can't say for sure. I'm not as good with terns as I could be.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 23:49   #652
Owen Krout

Hi Tom, Thanks for the input. The gulls I was sure of and I was 90% sure on the White-Winged Tern and Whiskered Tern as I had been observing Whiskered Tern in flight in the same general area and much closer. Little Tern was what I was hoping on the smallest ones, but it was a new tic for me, so wanted another opinion. Pretty sure I had seen them before, but hadn't added them to my list yet.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 00:32   #653
Owen Krout

Sep-10

Made a return to the Panjin Wetlands Park specifically to try the opposite bank of the river and sort out some of the gulls and terns by getting closer. I only got marginally closer, but by not spending a lot of time working on possible warblers and such I was able to sort out the targets of the day a lot better.

The results were Black-Headed Gull & Saunder's Gull, which are to be expected there at most times. For the Tern, Little Tern; White-Winged Tern & Common Tern. The Little Tern made the trip worthwhile as I thought I had seen them before, but this was the first time I was confident enough to claim them.

Waiting for the next cold front to push some more migrants down my way.

Nothing unusual otherwise other than having a Siberian Weasel calmly cross the footpath not more than 2 meters in front of me. It turned it's head to glance at me, but didn't speed up and didn't seem the least bit concerned about my presence.

Panjin Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
Sep 10, 2018 12:15 PM - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 kilometer(s)
16 species

Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha) 1
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 4
Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis) 1
Saunders's Gull (Saundersilarus saundersi) 6
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 12
Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) 6
White-winged Tern (Chlidonias leucopterus) 10
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) 4
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 5
Intermediate Egret (Ardea intermedia) 3
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 10
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 50
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica) 10
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 50

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48466282

Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 23:12   #654
Owen Krout

Black-Faced Spoonbill

Not my sighting, but since they are not reporting here and it is significant, I will announce it.

The ebird rare bird notification for Liaoning was in my email this morning and Bird soong has an excellent photo to support his sighting of 21 Black-faced Spoonbill at the Liaohekou Nature Reserve yesterday September 13. https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48472742 Also reported and documented a pair of Red-Crowned Crane. The area where I have been denied entry three times in the last year.

I'm not on Facebook but the link there is: https://www.facebook.com/bird.soong Apparently, not a member here, but anyone who is on facebook could encourage them to join us. I have seen several reports and they look to be an avid birder who has access to some excellent areas.

Old Monday 17th September 2018, 21:53   #655
Lancy Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Krout View Post
Hi Tom, It looks like nobody else is taking it up so I'll weigh in. Basically the same as I was thinking. I lean toward Common Gull based on what I was seeing. I thought that was a Mongolian! A little earlier than I have seen them before....I hope that doesn't bode ill for this winter! On the Terns, again based on what I was seeing, I think probably Common Tern. You missed the Little Egret on the left foreground.

All in all, just a little too far out to be sure of anything, so I think I'll continue to leave them out of the ebird report.
Sorry, I'm late for the party!
I can't see the photo now but I don't think I'd disagree with Tom. If it's a distant photo, ID would be based on size, shape, mantle color etc ("jizz"). Tom is definitely familiar with them
Been busy since I came back (birdwise anyway). Ten more species was added to my Newfoundland list. Dipped on one bird, which eBird told me that I've seen 200+ this year. It's very common in Panjin wetland park and lots of place in China. Would you like to guess what it is, Owen?
Someone shared this photo with me and I think it's hilarious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42084591_10160918159120357_6751010925077069824_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	674500  
Old Monday 17th September 2018, 22:09   #656
Lancy Cheng

Quote:

The results were Black-Headed Gull & Saunder's Gull, which are to be expected there at most times. For the Tern, Little Tern; White-Winged Tern & Common Tern. The Little Tern made the trip worthwhile as I thought I had seen them before, but this was the first time I was confident enough to claim them.
Owen,
I think at least the tern in your last photo was a Whiskered with the dark underside. During my trip to Panjin wetland, Whiskered seemed even more common than Common tern. I had 25+12+12 in three occasions.
Lancy
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 00:19   #657
Owen Krout

Good catch, Lancy! That is definitively not a Common Tern, Whiskered indeed! Must have been getting too tired when I labeled that one. Actually did have both that day though.

Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 02:04   #658
Owen Krout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancy Cheng View Post
Dipped on one bird, which eBird told me that I've seen 200+ this year. It's very common in Panjin wetland park and lots of place in China. Would you like to guess what it is, Owen?
Given your frequency of observations and that you like the gulls, I would have to say probably Black-Headed Gull.

Congratulations on 10 new sp. for Newfoundland!

Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 02:10   #659
Lancy Cheng

Quote:
Given your frequency of observations and that you like the gulls, I would have to say probably Black-Headed Gull.

Congratulations on 10 new sp. for Newfoundland!
The color is right: Black-crowned nigh heron! Couldn't believe I spent up to 10h on the chase without seeing it. There are roughly 15-20 records in Newfoundland but most were in remote locations.
Black-headed Gull used to be common here in winter and there are still some reliable places to see some. It also breeds on the west coast of the island.
Thank you! :)
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 02:44   #660
Owen Krout

Sep-17

I was able to make a short jaunt out to Gedalou Reservoir yesterday. Not extremely busy, but interesting outing anyway. Since then, my wife managed to make contacts through a friend who lives nearby and we now have a villager who has one of the three wheel motorbike "pick-ups" that we can hire cheaply to stop and go around the lake. Since it is about 14 km around the lake, it is more than I care to do in one day anymore. I managed about half of it once, but that was a stretch.

For yesterday though the major migrants spotted where some Falcated Duck floating well out from shore. Every time the wind would cause them to drift too close to the shore there was a small group of Great Crested Grebe that would chase them away, back towards the middle of the lake.

Common Tern and Little Tern were working the shorelines. Never got a photo of the Little Tern as they are just so small, fast and lacking the contrast for the auto focus to lock on.

Unfortunately, as we were driving out, I got a quick glimpse of either Pied Avocet or Black-Winged Stilt as the briefly broke into flight off of a fish pond near the lake. To quick of a look and without the bins to say which.

I am pretty sure there were more Heron and Egret further up on the north-west end of the lake, but since I was on foot, I didn't get that far.

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Sep 17, 2018 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
15 species

Falcated Duck (Mareca falcata) 35
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 7
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 11
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) 2
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 2
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 1
Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) 6
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) 4
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Intermediate Egret (Ardea intermedia) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 2
Oriental Magpie (Pica serica) 8
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 50
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48581866
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Falcated Duck.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	674507  Click image for larger version

Name:	Falcated Duck (1).jpg
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	674508  Click image for larger version

Name:	Common Tern.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	674509  Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Grebe (1).jpg
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	674510  Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Crested Grebe.jpg
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	674511  

Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 00:46   #661
Owen Krout

Sep-18

A walk around the neighborhood parks yesterday found a large group of Azure-Winged Magpie mobbing a Eurasian Kestrel. Possibly the same Kestrel that woke me up at sunrise with it's loud "keeee - keeee". A worried Hoopoe trying to stay out of sight in the middle of all the commotion.

Most of my time was taken up with trying to get a good look at what turned out to be a good size group of Two-Barred Warbler. I had absent mindedly left my binoculars at home of course and wasn't sure if I was looking at Pallas's Leaf Warbler or Two-Barred. They were very actively chasing each other around and very shy, which didn't help.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Sep 18, 2018 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 2
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 20
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 4
Two-barred Warbler (Phylloscopus plumbeitarsus) 10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48600255
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Azure-Winged Magpie.jpg
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	674648  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoopoe (1).jpg
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	674649  Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-Barred Warbler (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	674650  Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-Barred Warbler (1).jpg
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	674651  

Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 00:56   #662
Owen Krout

What you really see

From yesterdays warblers I got some entries for the What You Really See field guide.

For those who don't know already, my idea of a tongue-in-cheek field guide with photos that we all discard and pretend that we got that perfect shot with no effort. Showing what we often really see through our bins or when you chimp the camera. A field guide to make the novice birder feel better about their observations.

I have actually started keeping an album of these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two-Barred Warbler or Pallas's Leaf Warbler.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	674654  Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-Barred Warbler or Pallas's Leaf Warbler?.jpg
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	674655  Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-Barred Warbler or Pallas's Leaf Warbler? (1).jpg
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	674656  

Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 21:30   #663
Dong Bei
Tom

Green Warblers

Hi Owen,

The warbler you labelled Two-barred Warbler (2) in your post above is a Yellow-browed or Pallas's Leaf Warbler I believe. Someone taught me a while ago about the second wing bar shadow which works pretty good with Asian green warblers if you are able to get a good photo of them. Your photo is perfect for this. The second wing bar has a clear or slight shadow of black/dark just behind it on Yellow-browed and Pallas's Leaf Warblers. See the attached photo of your photo with the blue arrows. This was a massive aid in identifying these warblers to me if I could get a good pic of them, particularly in the fall when they aren't always calling. It might not be 100% fool proof but it's close.

There is also a lot of white on the tertials of your bird which points towards Yellow-browed. I have included some other Yellow-browed photos from NE China in the fall time that also all show a clear or slight wing bar shadow and white on the tertials.

I have also attached a two-barred form the fall in Liaoning to show that there is no shadow or white on the tertials. My two-barred photo doesn't win any competitions but clearly shows the absence of these two features.

The green warblers of Asia are notoriously difficult when they aren't calling. I've only seen a handful of Two-barred in Liaoning so I believe them to be much rarer than Yellow-browed and Pallas'.

ps. do you have any other photos of the one behind the tree with only the bill and tail showing? It reminds me of Eastern-crowned based on the width of the base of the bill when viewed from the under side and the long projection it seems to have. Need a better photo to be sure. Maybe it's the same bird as the other photo but just in a much different posture?

Can't seem to upload to this post so will try again in another.
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 21:31   #664
Dong Bei
Tom

Green Warblers

Worked this time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	warbler.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	674783  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow-browed Warbler 7fhj3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	674784  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow-browed Warbler 543.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	674785  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow-browed Warbler 9900943.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	674786  Click image for larger version

Name:	Two-barred Warbler.jpg
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	674787  

Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 21:35   #665
Dong Bei
Tom

While I'm at it, let me add that this works in NE China because there are only a handful of green warblers possible. I don't even want to begin to wade into the mess of green warblers in the central/southern part of China!
Old Wednesday 19th September 2018, 23:32   #666
Owen Krout

Hey, thanks Tom! The markings you have highlighted are exactly what I spent quite a bit of time worrying about, going through the references making comparisons. That is some really useful criticism! My initial ID, in the field, even before I actually saw any of them, was Yellow-Browed, just based on the calls I was hearing. However, my lack of any musical ability and too many years in the machine shops make me put any such call ID's on the bottom of the stack. Also, YB, here at least, don't usually have such dark clean patterning. My second thought, in the field, from the very quick and non-stop movement was Pallas's but I was able to visually and with photos determine that there were no crown stripes. Also PLW are normally much brighter. Unfortunately, no better shots of the bird hiding behind the branch. I can restore the 33 pics from that flock that I had already deleted and there were three more I am sure were the same bird, but out of focus. I have checked on my old Two-Barred IDs and they still look good.

You are correct in that the Two-Barred are either in fractionally lower numbers or better at staying hidden. PLW are more common, but are not seen in flocks like this. Usually singular or in pairs, occasionally three or four.

Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 00:00   #667
Owen Krout

I just ran across this short piece on YouTube and thought it would be of interest to some here. Gives some real insight into our effect on the environment using the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon.

https://youtu.be/b8BPANZzsyU

Old Yesterday, 00:57   #668
Owen Krout

Sep-22

I decided to do some more exploring yesterday and am glad I did despite it turning out to be a poor choice of days to be mucking about. Just north of the Panjin Wetland Park is an island formed by an old oxbow of the Shuangtaizi River. I forgot to take any pics of the signage yesterday but the main feature used to be the Panjin Zoo, so, for my purposes, I have dubbed it the Panjin Zoo Island. Easy to remember and I'll immediately know where it is.

I've known of it for a couple of years, but just never got around to checking it out. Therefore I set out with the idea of taking the #30 bus up to the Panjin Wetland Park and then changing to #11 which goes to the Zoo Island. Good plan, but Helmuth von Moltke the Elder was correct, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. Unknown to me, Panjin had re-tasked large numbers of buses for a big event out at Honghaitan (Red Beach). The express #30 buses were running much further apart and so overloaded that the drivers would only let passengers off but would not allow anyone to enter. Now that's crowded when you can't cram anymore Chinese aboard! This meant that the taxis were equally busy and refusing to use the meters, charging heavy surcharges. Being stubborn and relatively near the terminus for a much less popular local #4, I went over there and got on at the very beginning of the route and even then almost didn't get a seat. From there I knew how to make a couple of transfers to other locals and end up at #11. All this, however, took a little over two hours.

Finally arriving at my goal in a jam packed #11 I found 8 Back-headed Gull immediately visible as I stepped off the bus. Taking the nice walkway around the outside bank of the oxbow, I spotted a Great Egret working the waters on the inside bank. There was a footbridge to cross over to the island and from that I got close enough for some nice shots of the GE as well as spotting a Little Grebe flushed out of the reeds by the GE.

It turned out the zoo has been shutdown and renovation work is in progress with a lot of brand new walkways/bike paths in evidence. It wasn't clear to me if the zoo is to be reopened or not. Personally, I find Chinese zoos depressing, so I would vote for not. There is a lot of very good woodland and wetland habitat but surprisingly there were almost no birds to be found. Ten Azure-Winged Magpie were working around some newly built empty buildings and 30 or so Tree Sparrow were seen. Five Barn Swallow working over the water and four Chinese Bulbul were all that were seen in a hike of about 4 km. The waters were equally empty, but I did pick up a new lifer, making the trip worthwhile! I spotted a Great Egret which was being chased about by what I at first thought was an unusually aggressive Intermediate Egret. The IE just didn't look quite right though, so I made a point of getting as good a look and photos as I could. When it finally successfully chased off the GE and it landed it became even more obvious as it now looked like a short legged IE. Too thick and bulky for a Little Egret though. Hmmm....Could it be? Indeed it was the elusive Chinese Egret. Unusually good ID photos clearly show the shorter and thicker, blended black and yellow legs and feet as well as the heavier bill.

At this point, being well behind my original planned schedule and knowing the bus rides back would be just as challenging, I decided to forgo the short walk over to the Panjin Wetland Park and just head home. I ended up with much more time in transport than in birding, but at least garnered more knowledge of some bus routes and where to best board as well as first exploration of a new area. However, I think I'll avoid the buses for the rest of the weekend.

Panjin, Shuangtaizi, Zoo Island, Liaoning, CN
Sep 22, 2018 12:30 PM - 2:45 PM
4.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 8
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 2
Intermediate Egret (Ardea intermedia) 1
Chinese Egret (Egretta eulophotes) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 10
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 5