• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svalbard (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

Hi,
It is more likely that I'll get to go to Svalbard next year than Kenya or Poland. I've seen that there is a flight between Aberdeen and Longyearbyen for £214.80 per person with SAS, is this expensive? And what would be the best way to see the wildlife? I'm most desperate to see things like Polar Bear, Arctic Fox, Walrus and Cetaceans but also want to see Seabirds. I've heard of snowmobile safaris but not sure if this is the best option. I would also like to go dog sledding. What would be the best time, I have these school holidays:

2nd July - 17th August
11 - 22 October

Would also love to see the Aurora Borealis, seen it last about 5 years ago and even then it was tiny in the light-polluted Aberdeen sky. Also thinking about the possibility of going to the Norway mainland as well to see Owls, Woodpeckers, Musk Ox and Wolves. What would be the best, cheapest way?

Must have been great staying there, has anyone seen Narwhal in the wild? I know Svalbard is in their range but I have heard they are hard to see anywhere...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back