• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet anther thompsoni (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just a thought as I have no clue:

OK Dendroperdix sephaena thompsoni was dedicated to:

Type: T.M. No. 13033, collected, and donated by Dr L. C. Thompson,
at Grootfontein, S.W.A. Protectorate, July, 1916.

I have no clue about the guy:

Dr Louis C. Thompson (b. 1877) English collector in South Africa (subsp. Dendroperdix sephaena).

I hope this name was no confusion with Dr. Louis Clifford (Cliff) Thompson, (1920-1997) here as well a collector.

But I found in Between Woodbush and Wolkberg: Googoo Thompson's Story here:

Dr Louis Clifford Thompson (24.6.1877 - 2.3.1955)

If he is our guy I have no clue.

After a quick look;Dr Louis Clifford Thompson (1877–1955) looks ok with me!

And just for the fun of it; his wife Mrs Edith Awdry (‘Googoo’) Thompson [née Eastwood] (2 January 1895–2 August 1991) was/is commemorated in the Plant Aloe thompsoniae GROENEWALD 1936

More info on her, see; Figueiredo, E. & G. F. Smith. 2011. Who’s in a name: eponymy of the name Aloe thompsoniae Groenew., with notes on naming species after people. Bradleyana 29: 121-124. (here). Talk about a mess in different claims of commemorations! Prior to that Paper.

Note: Louis Clifford Thompson (1920–1997), was their Son (in the family a k a "Potty").

/B
-

Last edited:
From Dr L. C. Thompson, at Grootfontein it is easy to come to collector Louis C. Thompson (and most of the time it is Louis Clifford (Cliff) Thompson, (1920-1997) and not the potential Louis Clifford Thompson (1877-1955)). But from OD we do not even know if the correct name is Louis. But in here we can find...

Thompson, Louis Clifford, Grootfontein, S. W. Africa

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back