• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new member (1 Viewer)

finncoop

Hello all & greetings from beautiful Western NY....Thank you for allowing me to join your group. And if it's ok, right off the get-go I have a few questions. I have always seemed to find myself (or others find me!) in need of rescuing injured wild birds. I've been successful with most of my rescues, but I have found myself in uncharted territory at the moment....my work colleague called me this morning & said there was a bird in our office parking lot with a broken wing & it was hissing at her! So, I drove down to check it out. Well, it turns out it is a nighthawk & I'm not sure how to proceed. I've read about wrapping the injured wing with vet tape & keeping it confined, but what are your thoughts on feeding this insect catching avian??? Also, any other thoughts on tending the wing? Thanks in advance for your suggestions & advice!
FinnCoop

Are there any wildlife rehabbers in your area? They would be the best to get involved with this. Try doing a google search for rehabbers in your area.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Finncoop, weldcome to the forum. I do hope you can find a rehabilitator in your area to help with this fellow.

Thanks all...have left a message with a WR about an hour away & waiting to hear back....we are very rural here but unfortunately not many rehabbers close by...thanks again!

What about a local vet. Most are willing to help free of charge for a wild bird. At least around here.

Nighthawk Update

Hi All,
Just a quick update on the injured nighthawk...located a rehabber about 30 minutes away & she examined & found a broken clavicle/sternum most likely from colliding with a utility pole while catching moths...she was going to stabilize it & then transport it to Cornell Ornithology Lab/Rehab Center about 30 minutes away. She was optimistic about it's recovery. So, thanks again for all your suggestions & kind advice. Toodles till next time!
FinnCoop

Thanks so much for the update FinnCoop.... let's hope she's right and he does recover well.

Is there any chance she will let you know how he does? And can you tell us?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back