• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Titchwell March 1st

Today's highlights

Avocet - 167 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - 7 at Thornham Point
Spotted redshank - 5 on fresh marsh
Brambling - 4 on feeders in picnic area

Common crane - 1 west over Sedgeford towards Heacham @ 11am

Paul

Coming down on Friday for a long weekend,can anybody direct me to Wolverton Clifftop thanks.

From King's Lynn take the A149 towards Hunstanton. Shortly after the turning to Castle Rising on your left you enter Babingley (hamlet) on the edge of Sandringham Woods. About 700 yards beyond Babingley is another small hamlet at the bottom of a hill. Carry on along the A149 up another small hill and take the first turning on the left (should be signposted Wolferton). At crossroads go straight ahead and you will shortly come to a small car park/layby. Park in here and go through a set of gates then almost immediately walk left and arrive at the clifftop...I hope that is enough detail!
Have I missed anything out anyone?!? :-O

Had a wander round Strumpshaw Fen this morning. Lovely reserve, another place I will be coming back to. And so close to home!
Highlight was a very pale Bittern low over the reeds. Cettis Warbler calling, Marsh Harrier taking plenty of stick from the crows. Other sightings reported included Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Water Rail.
Had a look for the Cattle Egret, couldnt locate it although it has been seen regularly most of the day.
Cheers,
Jim.

The most fascinating thing happened - a birder in front of us said he had watched the shrike impale a lizard on the tree half way up the slope - I thought that rather odd.... bit early for a lizard, so I climbed up the slope to investigate and impaled directly through its throat:eek!: was a Common Newt!!!!!!! I have never seen this before and took some gory pictures of it!!!!!

Amazing - would have loved to see that despite the gore! Post the pics!

Didn't do much birding, but neverthess made a gem of a discovery - the boat restaurant/bar in Wells harbour.

Popped below deck for a swift half on Sunday afternoon only to discover a Frank Zappa look a like playing a bass guitar, another on the djembe with some dude dressed in a hiwaiian shirt, bermuda shorts and sunflowers (yes really) on vocals / percussion - generally doing pretty good covers of The Clash etc. The entire motley crew in the place, including several families with young children were either boogying away, stuffing their face with the best pancakes this side of Holland or shaking tambourine's and rattles to the music. Even the baby was having a go with the rattle. Not bad for 4pm on a Sunday!

Thoroughly recommend the place if the birding's slow. Friendliest place I've been to in Norfolk. Needless to say, me and the missus stayed for more than a half.....

Last edited:
Went along the old Castle Rising road this morning 8am which is now a cycle path and followed the track over the bridge (with inscription 1923 I noted!) - very pretty here, but due to rubbish weather this morning, hardly saw anything, although did have one Marsh Tit! a few long tailed tits, chaffinches, blue and great tits, red legged partridges, gulls on pools in very far distance, along with lapwings and rooks. A birder I passed had had 4 barn owls earlier (6.30am) and a yellow hammer here.

Then went onto North Wootton Marsh Farms in hope of the Rough Legged Buzzard - spent a good while scanning in the mist and dull skies but found nothing.

Went back to Wolverton Cliff Top just in case I could see RLB from here, but no sign, but did have 2 crossbills sitting below cliff top along with other birders. Someone had had 35 crossbills!!!!!

The Great Grey Shrike had been seen eating a mouse/vole this morning.

Over to Brancaster Staithe to find Twite, but no luck there either, but lots of turnstones feeding around the harbour and 1 distant Marsh Harrier.

Raced back home to go to work!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Albatross in Wells Harbour!

Yes, I too went below this large bird- although then there weren't Hawaiian musicians regaling my auditory and visual senses.

I wholemouthedly agree with Ilya's pancake recommendation. Certainly as good as any in the Low Countries. I seem to recall they took a long time to arrive, despite the galley not being busy.

Excellent freshly ground coffee from the deli opposite, by the way, to continue the gourmand theme.

What a grotty day, yesterday ! (I managed to escape some of this by bravely staying at my PC, entering assessment data for many dozens of my academic charges.) The only consolation, when I eventually emerged, was the birds starting to don their summer plumage- a rather smart male Pied Wag at Salthouse managing deftly to evade my modest lens, by dodging between the cars.

If anyone's interested, Alex Horne will be at Titchwell signing his new book between 14h00 and 16h00 on 8th March.

Rob

Hi guys, not strictly bird news, but thought I would give the thread a heads up on some stand up comedy coming to norfolk.

Alex Horne is bringing his birdwatching watching tour to norfolk. Two dates, one at Norwich arts centre and one over in Kings Lynn. In a nutshell, his dad is a keen twitcher and Alex decided to join him on a big year.

http://www.alexhorne.com/shows.php?show=3

A friend has seen him and really enjoyed it, I have booked my tickets. Details on the website.

Cheers,
Jim.

Bitterns

Hi everyone,

I am once again migrating from West to East Norfolk for the next six months to carry out the RSPB/Natural England in-depth breeding Bittern survey.

If anybody hears any booming or sees any suspected nest flights in Norfolk between now and August, please get in contact with me via a private message. I am particularly interested in the sites which are less visited by the masses (or Bitterns!) as these are more likely to slip through unnoticed, but all records would be much appreciated.

I shall also be putting in a lot of effort in along the east coast this spring so hopefully some good birds will be waiting to be found, I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for the records in advance,

Ben

Had a most pleasent day ambling about Beccles area today in seach of the GTW Egret, didn't see it but did find the Bean Goose with a birding mate (viewed from Ellingham sluice, Norfolk side of the river!!), two Marsh Harrier and 1 possible ringtail Hen Harrier over the marshes from the Bungay road were a nice surprise for the area, also had Stonechat, Grey Wags, Kingfisher, 1 BT Godwit among common and herring gulls and two Little Egrets in the general area!!

Cracking weather to be down by the river!!

Matt

Attachments

• beccles 018 (Custom).jpg
    beccles 018 (Custom).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 72
  • beccles 014 (Custom).jpg
    beccles 014 (Custom).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 67
  • beccles 025 (Custom).jpg
    beccles 025 (Custom).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 69
  • beccles 041 (Custom).jpg
    beccles 041 (Custom).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 79
Twite

Went along the old Castle Rising road this morning 8am which is now a cycle path and followed the track over the bridge (with inscription 1923 I noted!) - very pretty here, but due to rubbish weather this morning, hardly saw anything, although did have one Marsh Tit! a few long tailed tits, chaffinches, blue and great tits, red legged partridges, gulls on pools in very far distance, along with lapwings and rooks. A birder I passed had had 4 barn owls earlier (6.30am) and a yellow hammer here.

Then went onto North Wootton Marsh Farms in hope of the Rough Legged Buzzard - spent a good while scanning in the mist and dull skies but found nothing.

Went back to Wolverton Cliff Top just in case I could see RLB from here, but no sign, but did have 2 crossbills sitting below cliff top along with other birders. Someone had had 35 crossbills!!!!!

The Great Grey Shrike had been seen eating a mouse/vole this morning.

Over to Brancaster Staithe to find Twite, but no luck there either, but lots of turnstones feeding around the harbour and 1 distant Marsh Harrier.

Raced back home to go to work!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny

I have seen ca. 30 Twite the last two visits to Brancaster. I know that there have been few reports this Winter and Linnets have often been present instead. They are usually at the end of the Golf Course on the edge of the harbour or at that end of the beach on the high tide line. Either way you have to walk right along. Whenever I put this news out they seem to keep mentioning Brancaster Staith and not (just) Brancaster for access. By the way I could tell they weren't Linnets because, although distant there was a number of colour rings on show!

Titchwell March 3rd

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh
Redwing - 20 around visitor centre
Fieldfare - 15 around visitor centre
Brambling - 1 on feeders in picnic area

Paul

Hi all,

Coming across to Hunstanton Thursday and Friday. Are there any snow buntings at Salthouse or is Titchwell the best bet?

Also any directions to the Dersingham Shrike would be appreciated(pm if you wish).

Have non birding wife who cannot walk far with me so the directions would be most useful.

Will be travelling along the coast so if you see a grumpy mostached Barbour clad old git say hello - it will most likely be me.:smoke:

Thanks,

Hugh

Buntings ?

"Are there any snow buntings at Salthouse"

The two whose photo is in my post #5884 were on the fringes of the larger pool, 100-150m west of the Beach Car Park at Salthouse, last Saturday.

Perhaps others who have seen them there more recently could make this known.

I'm quite sure that, if they will still be there in two days, your wife could manage this distance, even though it is along flat shingle.

Are there any snow buntings at Salthouse or is Titchwell the best bet? Also any directions to the Dersingham Shrike would be appreciated(pm if you wish). Have non birding wife who cannot walk far with me so the directions would be most useful.

Hope you have a good trip. You can scan for the Shrike from the top of the steps by the boardwalk in Dersingham Bog. It has frequented the trees near the boardwalk and as far east as the trees by the pond, about half a mile east along the main path but a scope across should reveal if it's there or not.

From the main car park at Dersingham Bog, go through the gate and straight on (path left to the cliff for the Rough Legged Buzzards too) and it's only a couple of hundred yards to the top of the steps. There's a seat by the steps if your wife needs to rest as well.

This all assumes you know where the main car park for the Bog is of course - just shout if not and I'll post some more details. Hope you have a good trip.

Am a bit out of touch on Snow Buntings as I'm just back from two weeks on Mull (shed loads of Golden Eagles, White-tailed Sea Eagles, Great Northern Divers, Slavonian Grebes, Hen Harriers AND ...... 1 Dipper! Yes, just a single Dipper but with my track record on them, I'll take what I can get!). I see that 2 RL Buzzs have turned up on my local patch and a BN Grebe on my WeBS patch at Brancaster ..... I turn my back for five minutes!

Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back