• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth-er needed (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I've taken a few more pix by torchlight.
Can anyone help me ID any of them, please?
First was about 1 cm wingspan on wall below light tonight (15.9)

Attachments

• micro_onwall.jpg
    micro_onwall.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 239
another view of the buddliea moth in case it helps.... 'cos it's hard to get exposure and focus right after dark.

Attachments

• bud_moth.jpg
    bud_moth.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 197
and finally... for tonight, anyway!

This one was on a rose... too big to be a micro, I think.

Attachments

• rosemoth2.jpg
    rosemoth2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 231
Another view of the moth on the rose. (The hips, by the way, are about 1 inch across).
many thanks if you've had the patience to get this far.
Ken

Attachments

• rosemoth.jpg
    rosemoth.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 195
Hi,
1 - Double-striped Pug
2 - Common Marbled Carpet
3 - Large Yellow Underwing
4 - Square-spot Rustic
and your last one is a micro, a migratory Pyralid called Rush Veneer, Nomophila noctuella.
Cheers,
Tim

Yep, I agree with all of those Tim with the exception of No.2- it could just as easily be a Dark Marbled Carpet.....

Thanks, Tim and CJ,
I've boldly attempted to ID this one but it doesn't seem to match any of the ones in Waring and Townsend. The nearest I can find is blood-vein but it seems to be almost completely lacking the pinkish border to the trailing edge of the wings.
Ken

Attachments

• blood-vein.jpg
    blood-vein.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 173
Hi CJW,
I'm sure you're probably correct but I had always been under the impression that this form with the plain orangey centres to the wing only occured in Common and not at all in Dark Marbled Carpet.
Cheers,
Tim

Definitely a Blood-vein Ken, looks a little faded and being so late on the wing, would suggest it's a second generation which might explain it's 'poor plumage'.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back