• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Pygmy Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Discussion thread for American Pygmy Kingfisher. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

---------------------

I have a couple of different books describing this species, and they disagree on whether it is the male or the female that has the breast band. Does anyone know what is the real truth?

thanks
Niels

I'll double check my books but from memory it is the female that has the green breast band.

Did check wikipedia which also said female has green breast band and then
Arthur Grosset's site which also shows the female with the green breast band.

I'll double check my books but from memory it is the female that has the green breast band.

Did check wikipedia which also said female has green breast band and then
Arthur Grosset's site which also shows the female with the green breast band.

But the Birds of Northern South America (Restall) states that it is the male that has the breast band, if my memory serves me right ...

Niels

But the Birds of Northern South America (Restall) states that it is the male that has the breast band, if my memory serves me right ...

... and Restall et al. are aware of the mistaken switch they made this case. Should be male = no chest-band; female = green chest-band.

Thanks Rasmus.
Is there a website with corrections that I should be aware of?

thanks
Niels

Greetings NJL:

well i dont know that i can add much to the discussion, just to say they are indeed cute lil' buggers!

my lifer APK came this november in costa rica, whilst cruising the tarcoles river on the first afternoon of our trip.

we were well in the middle of the wide channel of the main rivercourse, crusising at a fairly decent clip, when the gent powered back and began to ease over to the bank. how he spotted the critter i'll never know, as they are indeed 'pygmy' sized. the photo linked to in opus reminds me very much of our observation, where the bird was perched in the open, just over the water. not all that skittish, the captain floated and manuveured the craft for 10 minutes or so, while shutters blazed away. the 'fisher eyed us closely, but never flinched.

quite a satisfying experience!

best to all,
UTC

Robin Restall also did the illustrations for the recent Field Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago (Kenefick, Restall, & Hayes) and while he started with the plates from the Birds of Northern South America he did make some corrections (shows female Pygmy Kingfisher with her green breast band) and tailored some of the others to show local subspecies.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back