• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI New York scarce/rares (1 Viewer)

SueBryan

Hi All
My partner and I are keen world listers and will be staying in New York City for a few days over New Year. Are there any scrace/rare/good birds about please? (We have been to NY several times)
Thanks Sue

Hi Sue,

Depends what you are looking for and your mode of transport. Plenty of Snowy Owls this year and WW Crossbills are around but nothing 'mega'. A Northern Hawk Owl is closeish (4hrs) Feel free to drop me a private message with what kind of thing you might be looking for. If you go to birdingonthe.net it'll give you some idea of sightings - if you have a car remember much of New Jersey and Connecticut are both fairly close to the city.

Luke

Sue,

Central Park is a great place to go birding as is Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Although it is not in Manhattan and is somewhat of a trek, the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve is another great place. There are a number of great web pages and blogs devoted to birding in the city. Let me know and I can give you the links. If you are interested in raptors, especially Red Tails, I suggest that you do a search for Pale Male (the name of the male Central Park Red Tail).

Sue,

Central Park is a great place to go birding as is Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Although it is not in Manhattan and is somewhat of a trek, the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve is another great place. There are a number of great web pages and blogs devoted to birding in the city. Let me know and I can give you the links. If you are interested in raptors, especially Red Tails, I suggest that you do a search for Pale Male (the name of the male Central Park Red Tail).

Thanks Rich
We enjoyed the Red Tails last time we were over in Central Park. We chanced upon Jamaica Bay on our way to the airport the last time we were over. It was a fabulous place. However that was in October so it will be lovely to see it at a different time of year. Paul's Brother lives in Brooklyn so we will follow your suggestion and try Prospect Park.

Good Birding
Sue

How did you get on Sue?

I have just returned from 4 days in NY city, only birding done (aprt from Central Park) was at Staten island (by ferry terminal) where had 4 Bufflehead, 4 Am Wigeon, 2 gadwall, Scaup, 4 Pale Bellied brent geese, 40 plus Canada geese as well as 2 Song Sparrows feeding in sea-weed and on rocks.

Central park was a joy for me, with the 'Ramble' being the area I concentrated on. Had fly over Bald Eagle on 9th, 3-4 RT Hawks, male Sharp Shinned or Coopers chasing Rock Pigeons by Bethseda Fountain..... (do male Sharp Shinned chase pigeons?). Also flyover Peregrine.

In ramble saw all the usual culprits (Tufted Titmouse x 40, White Breasted Nuthatch (x6), House Finch (x 5), Black capped Chicakdee (x several), just 1 Pine Siskin high in a tree, many White-Throated Sparrows and quite a number of Junco's, 3 Hermit Thrush, American Goldfinches, a couple of Downy Woodies and a few Red-bellied Woodies. Highlights for me were a female Purple Finch on 11th and a Fox Sparrow on 11th and 12th in same area (Ramble).

Shame I didnt get as far as the Reservoir!

Last edited:
More New York questions.

Hello,

I will be in New York for a week in early March and will be staying within walking distance of Prospect Park, so I will give it a try! Thanks for the recommendation on this thread! Are there any other good spots in Brooklyn?

I also have a full day spare for birding further afield. I want to try Jamaica Bay or perhaps Breezy Point or somewhere else. Any thoughts on my chances of seeing Snowy Owl, Saw Whet Owl or Thick-billed Murre at either of these places - or perhaps there are other better options.

Thanks,

Steve

Visiting NY?

Plenty of redtails to see in NY, also perigrines, at least 15 pairs nesting near the Brooklyn Bridge alone, over the years these have branched out over nearby suburbs and rivers and towns. A population explosion great for predator bird enthusiasts, not so good for orioles and woodpeckers and songbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back