• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat species - Georgia, May 2018 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Both birds had a white rump but all black tail lacking the tail pattern of Caspian Stonechat in my view.

The first three images were taken on 7th May 2018 at Gveleti near the Russian border. I identified the bird as a European Stonechat on the basis of the narrow collar and extensive wash to the underparts.

The second two images were taken on 11th May 2018 near Dedoplis and the Chachuna Managed Reserve further east near the Azerbaijan border. I identified the bird as a Siberian Stonechat on the basis of the broader collar and the more restricted orange breast patch.

Very happy to be educated and all help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Stonechat 01.jpg
    Stonechat 01.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Stonechat 02.jpg
    Stonechat 02.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Stonechat 03.jpg
    Stonechat 03.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Sibechat 01.jpg
    Sibechat 01.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 70
  • Sibechat 02.jpg
    Sibechat 02.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 72
I don't have any experience with Siberian but in the second photo the bird seems to show some dark blotches on the rump, which I guess points to European along with the narrow collar and small wing patch.
The second looks like a Siberian, broad collar and very limited orange.

According to HBW, Georgia might be fractionally outside the range of rubicola and perhaps also hemprichii (?). I think maurus would be a stretch too, so it seems Stonechats there are most likely to be variegatus. I don't know much about this form - doesn't it have less white at the sides of the tail than hemprichii? Your second bird could be this form.

Don't know if this helps:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...orquatus-sensu-lato-in-the-Caspian-region.pdf

EDIT: According to the article rubicola does seem to occur in Georgia (Transcaucasia).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back