• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

On the issue of Greenfinchs, I haven’t had any in or around the garden - whereas in previous years they are a regular at the feeder, in good numbers. A very quick scan though other lists on this thread appears to show them as absent or ‘late’ in other folks gardens. Is the apparent lack of Greenfinchs this year a wider perception?

Stewart

Havent any Greenfinchs here this winter , usually several in the garden. Also no Bramblings and no Chiff chaff , less Blue tits and Great tits .

Heavy Frost overnight with a follow on wall to wall blue, small birds conspicuous by their absence....save Grey Wag. no.48.

Just!....10 Fieldfares over, out of a Battleship grey. no.49.

.....and now a single Greylag also going South. no.50.

Last edited:
Plodding along...
12. Pileated Woodpecker
13. American Goldfinch - last seen in November, I don't think I've gone so long without seeing one before.
14. Northern Shrike. Whizzed through the garden, past the Barred Owl, which seems to have taken up residence! No complaints from me.

Attachments

• hunker down - small.jpg
    hunker down - small.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 9
Just one addition today, but a good one it was.

26. Common Raven (f)

is still an uncommon species in the area, but is increasing rapidly. I had my first yard record just a few years ago. I would say that I average fewer than five sightings a year from the yard.

We have had some bitter cold weather, with a recent night dropping close to -20C (-4F). There are about 10cm of snow on the ground, but this should melt with next week's forecast of rain and 12C (54F)!

Last edited:
Just one addition today, but a good one it was.

26. Common Raven (f)

is still an uncommon species in the area, but is increasing rapidly. I had my first yard record just a few years ago. I would say that I average fewer than five sightings a year from the yard.

They’re spreading here in the South East of England too. :t:

February 2nd

46. Peregrine - suspect they breed somewhere in town but nobody has ever found them
47. Little Egret

Steve

Last edited:
Late starter

Doing a garden list for the first time in several years so will join in.
I am counting seen and heard from my garden.

1 buzzard
2 sparrowhawk
3 kestrel
4 pheasant
5 woodpigeon
6 collared dove
7 gs woodpecker
8 jay
9 magpie
10 carrion crow
11 blackbird
12 song thrush
13 fildfare
14 redwing
15 robin
16 dunnock
17 house sparrow
18 tree sparrow
19 blue tit
20 great tit
21 coal tit
22 long tailed tit
23 starling
24 reed bunting
25 greenfinch
26 goldfinch
27 chaffinch
28 pied wagtail
29 bh gull
30 common gull
31 herring gull
32 lbb gull
33 mute swan
34 skylark
35 linnet
36 pink footed goose
37 Greylag goose
38 Canada goose
39 mallard
40 lapwing
41 golden plover
42 teal
43 red legged partridge.

Welcome, TT,

Where in Barnsley are you?

Two or three there I haven't got - and one or two I probably won't!

Anyway - a nice fly past just now when two

51: Ravens

rolling as they went - heading east.

Welcome, TT,

Where in Barnsley are you?

Two or three there I haven't got - and one or two I probably won't!

Anyway - a nice fly past just now when two

51: Ravens

rolling as they went - heading east.

Cudworth. Near Edderthorpe and overlooking the dearne valley 👍

Looks like I'm "neck and neck" with Jasperpatch. :t:

#14. Goosander - 3 fly over when I was making snow works about an hour ago.

Speaking of snow: I think we have broken the garden snow record today. I don't remember we had had this much snow on those 10 winters what we have own this house. According to official sources here is about 50 cm, but the wind has put some places much more than that.
Amy, how much you have snow in Quebec? Are we "neck and neck" with that also? :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back