• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

For a minute there I thought I'd lobbed on HuntForum not BirdForum !! :C

Looking forward to reports of how you'd actually use these new wideangle 6.5x32 for birds, what optical qualities they have, and how they perform. Ditto for the 10x42 . :cat:

Also whether the 8x in 32 or 42mm knock off established wideangle front runners such as the Nikon 8x30 EII, Swaro 8x32 SV, or the Zeiss 8x42 SF for usable wideangle field quality, and as always - how's the sharpness ? ..... :h?:

Chosun :gh:

I would imagine 10x42's will be the top seller especially in Wyoming where they are located. It is a BIG hunting state with a lot of Pronghorn Antelope, Deer and Elk and a lot of open country. Hunter's in general like 10x42's especially in country like Wyoming. I bet they sell the least of the 6.5x32's. Top seller's in this order 10x42, 10x32, 8x42, 8x32 and 6.5x32.

While 6,5x is considered as lower than the majority of users want, this model is the only which really sticks out among the figurations with its 10deg TFOV.
What I can see this new series has also met the strongest attention because of the 6,5x32. I would therefore be surprised if it becomes the least sold model.

Last edited:
While 6,5x is considered as lower than the majority of users want, this model is the only which really sticks out among the figurations with its 10deg TFOV.
What I can see this new series has also met the strongest attention because of the 6,5x32. I would therefore be surprised if it becomes the least sold model.
The whole line of Kowa XD's are class leading in FOV not just the 6.5x32. The 8x32 at 8.8 degree and the 10x42 at 7.2 degree are really unheard of in a roof prism. So no matter what magnification you pick it is going to be wider angle than anything else on the market and when you think about it a big FOV is one of the most important features birders want in their binoculars. I think they will all be very good sellers for Kowa for this reason. Your correct that 6.5x32 is unusual in that there has never been a low magnification binocular with that wide of a FOV but I think the other magnifications are going to very attractive also. Remember too that the AFOV is what gives you that immersive WOW factor and the 10x42 with it's 72 degree AFOV should have a lot of WOW. What is interesting is that even though the edges on these are softer than say a Swarovski SV you don't really notice it as much because the FOV is so big and the on axis view is very sharp. I get the 10x42 tomorrow. They upgraded the shipping to UPS Next Day Air (for no charge) so I will report on it tomorrow. Good nite.:cat:

Last edited:
Here is the new Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32's next to a Nikon EDG 8x32 for size comparison and color. Eye cups are extended. Note how much more compact it is than the EDG. Nice big focus wheel for gloves also. The eye cups are real close in diameter to the EDG's also with comfortable rubber. Very nice size. Notice the finish and build quality stands up very well sitting next to an alpha. The alpha EDG doesn't really outclass it a lot.

Thanks Denco for your review, very interesting.

Could you please so kind to post a photo of the oculars of the 6.5x32 or maybe to provide the diameter of the oculars?

What about the vision at the edge of the field of view?

Best,
Codarossa

The whole line of Kowa XD's are class leading in FOV not just the 6.5x32. The 8x32 at 8.8 degree and the 10x42 at 7.2 degree are really unheard of in a roof prism. So no matter what magnification you pick it is going to be wider angle than anything else on the market and when you think about it a big FOV is one of the most important features birders want in their binoculars. I think they will all be very good sellers for Kowa for this reason. Your correct that 6.5x32 is unusual in that there has never been a low magnification binocular with that wide of a FOV but I think the other magnifications are going to very attractive also. Remember too that the AFOV is what gives you that immersive WOW factor and the 10x42 with it's 72 degree AFOV should have a lot of WOW. What is interesting is that even though the edges on these are softer than say a Swarovski SV you don't really notice it as much because the FOV is so big and the on axis view is very sharp. I get the 10x42 tomorrow. They upgraded the shipping to UPS Next Day Air (for no charge) so I will report on it tomorrow. Good nite.:cat:

I understand, they are all classleading in this respect while the 65 deg AFOV of 6,5x32 is extraordinary with such a low power in a roof glass.

Last edited:
I am NOT going to melt a hole in my focus wheel!3:)

Dennis

You risk blindness staring at the glare in your EL 8x32, you terrify mountain goats stalking them up The Rockies, but you won't put a tiny teeny tiny invisible hole in your focus wheel, which won't happen anyway if its aluminium?

Where is your commitment to the cause, son?

Lee ;)

Thanks Denco for your review, very interesting.

Could you please so kind to post a photo of the oculars of the 6.5x32 or maybe to provide the diameter of the oculars?

What about the vision at the edge of the field of view?

Best,
Codarossa
The oculars are 43.5mm on the OD. So they are pretty good size and the rubber is very comfortable like the EDG. The eye cups are very positive, smooth and tight with no slack or play as you adjust them also. The edges are softer than say the EDG but it is a mild drop off and as I said the FOV is so big and there is a big sweet spot so you don't notice the edges much when you are using them unless you move your object to the edge.

Last edited:
Dennis

You risk blindness staring at the glare in your EL 8x32, you terrify mountain goats stalking them up The Rockies, but you won't put a tiny teeny tiny invisible hole in your focus wheel, which won't happen anyway if its aluminium?

Where is your commitment to the cause, son?

Lee ;)
You can sacrifice yours to the CAUSE, dad! Your the moderator.:-O

Last edited:
I understand, they are all classleading in this respect while the 65 deg AFOV of 6,5x32 is extraordinary with such a low power in a roof glass.
I agree. The 6.5x32 is very unusual and different in that respect and as I said it is the first low magnification binocular that I liked due to the 65 degree AFOV. It is different. it is the first low magnification binocular that WOWS me.

Last edited:
The new Kowa BDII-XD 10x42 is very impressive. I received it today from USA Binoculars. The quality is very high just like the 6.5x32. I can't find anything wrong with it and I am pretty picky. The focuser is smooth and has no slack, the IPD tension is perfect and the eye cups move smoothly without any play and there are three adjustments. I can actually use it at the 2nd click on the eye cups without blackouts and that is rare for me. Compared to something like the Nikon HG 10x42 the Kowa is more compact, it is lighter, it has a bigger FOV, it controls glare as well and it controls CA better. The only advantage I see with the HG is the edges are sharper and the Kowa compensates with a bigger FOV. The Kowa must have a lot of fluorite crystal in it's lenses as they advertise because it has hardly any CA. It showed less CA than My Swarovski SV 12x50's. I have heard Kowa's are known for good CA control. It is a very good value for $400.00 in a roof prism.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your impression Denco!
Having both 6,5x32 and 10x42 is great!
I am just not sure I understand what you mean with:
"I can actually use it at the 2nd click on the eye cups without blackouts". Blackouts can be an issue with long eye relief and when eyecups are not possible to extend enough. So at the 2nd click blackouts don't use to be a problem unless a very long eye relief.

I don't think Kowa would put Fluorite glass in a 400 dollar binocular. Below is a quote from USA Binoculars.

"Kowa XD Lenses: Kowa’s Advanced XD Lenses have characteristics close to Fluorite Crystals, and when combined with a concave lens possessing special dispersion properties, reduces chromatic aberration to almost non-existent levels, for razor-sharp images".

Glad the 10X42 seems like a nice glass Dennis, as far as I have seen the HG has less distortion than the Kowa.

Remember folks, in the end, you always get what you pay for, nothing more or less. These are a nice economical glass for many outside of the optic-nut arena to enjoy at a modest price. Additionally, for those who are cost conscious when buying optics, a nice alternative.

Andy W.

I totally agree. With quality comes a higher price, especially with optics. I have known this since the first pair of Leitz binoculars I purchased back in the early 70’s. Now with countries like China and others, that price to quality is shrinking every year. Personally I am having trouble distinguishing the real difference between a well made $500 piece of glass and the $1000 to $1500 scopes /binoculars I have owned or handled. These new Kowa’s seem to fall in that well made $500 range. Whether the new Kowa’s glass has real Fluorite or is just another variety of ED glass, it will not be long before the only difference between the thousands of dollar optics versus the hundred dollars optics will be ??? I will leave that to some one else’s opinion. Now having said all this I just ordered a pair of the Kowa 6.5x32 out of curiosity. I do not need another pair. After my curiosity is satisfied I will give my opinion with a short review. I will not return these to USA Binoculars which by the way still took the Bird12 discount code today even though I no longer see it on their website ... you will see these here for sale in the classified section.

My unit has just arrived after an overnight drive from Germany and then in an unheated warehouse. The focus wheel is way colder than the armour. Its aluminium just like Kowa Germany (who checked with Kowa Japan) said.
No red hot needles required. In haste on way to family meeting so no time to view through it.

Lee

What I mean is because I have shallow eye sockets usually I have to use the eye cups on most binoculars fully extended so the eye relief matches the eye cup length and the exit pupil hits my eyes without blackouts. With the
Kowa 10x42 I don't need to use the third click stop to avoid blackouts. It is perfect on the second click stop.

Ok, I got it!
I plan to visit a big optics dealer next month and hopefully try out among other some of the new Kowas, especially the 6,5x32.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back