• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange-beaked, striped-head bird - Help identify? (1 Viewer)

SouthParkBirds

This bird showed up today to eat seed with the finches and sparrows. Can anyone help ID it, please?

Attachments

• DSC09335.jpg
    DSC09335.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC09341.JPG
    DSC09341.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 77
Welcome to the Forum, SouthParkBirds.

I'd love to know where this photograph was taken.

Your bird looks like a young male (?) Pin-tailed Whydah, which is a species native to Africa which seems to be establishing itself in southern California.

eta: This species is a brood parasite in the manner of Brown-headed Cowbirds. It may be parasitizing the equally exotic Scaly-breasted Munia (also known as Nutmeg Manakin) (see my earlier link plus this one and this one too).

Last edited:
Orange-beaked, striped-head bird - A Pin-Tailed Whydah?

Microtus, Thanks so much! That's what this is, definitely. The location is in San Diego, CA, east of Balboa park in the South Park neighborhood.

Sure, SouthPark. I really only was curious about the county. I thought you were a South Park fan, not having heard of that South Park neighborhood.

Sure thing, fugl. Adapting to a new host when both host and parasite are non-natives (to California and to each other) is really interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back