• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first shots (1 Viewer)

piero

Hi,
I got my ed80 and I had only a pair of opportunities to test it.
Here some shots with the Ed80+ kenko pro 1.4x.
Do you think that the sharpness meets what we have to expect from the ed80? Or is it a bit softer?
Thanks

Attachments

• im2.jpg
    im2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 135
  • im2_100Crop.jpg
    im2_100Crop.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 153
  • img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 143
  • img3Crop.jpg
    img3Crop.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 134
They look pretty darn good to me. 100% crops never really look good ( well mine dont :smoke: ) but yours is excellent

And the two big birds on the nest photo is real clean, razor sharp. I'd say well done - you've nailed it

They look pretty good to me. The scope in perfect conditions will be very sharp at any range and also with the 1.4X TC. I class perfect conditions as winter time with temperature close to 0°c. I find anything above 5°c can start to soften details depending on the range, the type of terrain, humidity and lots of other factors. If you get any softness then it will likely be something outside of your control rather than the optics.

Paul.

Hi,
thank you for your feedbacks.
Actually I noted that the pictures of birds taken at long distance in the morning are acceptable while in the afternoon they are really too soft.
I found also not very easy to get the subjects in focus (lots of pictures out of focus!)
Piero

I have suffered the same problem, and you dont realise until someone with more experiences points out things that affect images.

For instance...Paul C pointed out things like heat haze in long distance shots. You may not even notice this till you get home and view the files.

Here's an example.. ( apologies they're not bird shots, but just making the point )

first shot of the church was taken at between 1 and 1.5 miles. Canon 40D, 600mm ED80 Skywatcher, 2x Barlow.
The Sun was hot that day, and it was early afternoon. Bad !

Another shot of a cottage, 1 mile distance, same camera gear but not so hot, and taken early morning. The difference is obvious

Attachments

• 15mileChurch.jpg
    15mileChurch.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 140
  • cottage.jpg
    cottage.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 131
I have suffered the same problem, and you dont realise until someone with more experiences points out things that affect images.

For instance...Paul C pointed out things like heat haze in long distance shots. You may not even notice this till you get home and view the files.

Here's an example.. ( apologies they're not bird shots, but just making the point )

first shot of the church was taken at between 1 and 1.5 miles. Canon 40D, 600mm ED80 Skywatcher, 2x Barlow.
The Sun was hot that day, and it was early afternoon. Bad !

Another shot of a cottage, 1 mile distance, same camera gear but not so hot, and taken early morning. The difference is obvious

Incredible!!! The first picture seems intentionally blurred with a special filter !

Yes, its that bad , i agree !!

They were test shots trying to use the incredible distance 1200mm can reach to. Not birds obviously at that distance of a mile + , but none the less, it still works fine in the right type of atmosphere

If atmospheric conditions are poor, but not hopeless, you can get sharp photos simply by taking a lot of shots. Some of them will be lucky and will cut through the air at a moment of lesser turbulence. The hotter it is (in my experience, the closer to noon), the more shots you'll need to take...

Here's an example from yesterday: a Great Blue Heron at about 140 feet, taken at 755mm f/6, with an extremely steady tripod + bipod, and a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the non-existent action (the heron was staying still). Live View + 10x was used to get perfect focus (and I could clearly see the atmosphere wavering in the Live View).

One photo is very soft (but also sharp in places — characteristic of atmospheric blurring) and the other is fairly sharp. Both were taken RAW and processed identically, and cropped at 100%.

Attachments

• k15_IMG_1448_Great_Blue_Heron__soft__100%_crop.jpg
    k15_IMG_1448_Great_Blue_Heron__soft__100%_crop.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 127
  • k15_IMG_1453_Great_Blue_Heron__sharp__100%_crop.jpg
    k15_IMG_1453_Great_Blue_Heron__sharp__100%_crop.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
If atmospheric conditions are poor, but not hopeless, you can get sharp photos simply by taking a lot of shots. Some of them will be lucky and will cut through the air at a moment of lesser turbulence. The hotter it is (in my experience, the closer to noon), the more shots you'll need to take...

Here's an example from yesterday: a Great Blue Heron at about 140 feet, taken at 755mm f/6, with an extremely steady tripod + bipod, and a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the non-existent action (the heron was staying still). Live View + 10x was used to get perfect focus (and I could clearly see the atmosphere wavering in the Live View).

One photo is very soft (but also sharp in places — characteristic of atmospheric blurring) and the other is fairly sharp. Both were taken RAW and processed identically, and cropped at 100%.

Thank you very much! I'll use this idea next time!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back