• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tennessee (1 Viewer)

moonifa

hello! New member here and disappointed to learn no one here from Tennessee yet LOL. I have a bird I am trying to identify. I thought I had identified it as a purple finch but am not sure as the bird I see on my finch bar is a leaner bird with less plump and feathers. I haven't managed to get photo of it yet. But it does have a slight red area around head just doesn't quite look like the finch photos i have seen. And supposedly for Tennessee they are gone by April? Any ideas? B :)

Moonifa,
Welcome to Birdforum from a Volunteer! I lived in Knoxville for a number of years. Loved it there.

Not sure on your bird ID. Have you looked at House Finch?

Welcome! I believe we do have a couple of Tennessee members on board. I seem to recall a member from Nashville, and if memory serves, at least one from SE Tennessee.

GR

I haven't birded Tennessee seriously but I've seen House Finch without even looking for them. At least in Knoxville they seem to be fairly common feeder guests.

Any suggestions for birding the Knoxville area, please bring them on, as I will be visiting again in mid-June and I have been rather disappointed in the past. I don't know if the Smokies are a lost cause between the over-visiting and the air pollution and the various tree-eating pests, or if I am just maybe looking in the wrong places.

I'm new around here! I live in middle TN and have tons of house finches here. We actually had a pair choose the back porch of our new home for their nesting site. They laid and hatched 2 different broods. I personally haven't seen a purple finch. But right now the house finches, with all the new little ones, seem to be taking over. Sometimes I look out and there are 10 or more at the feeders together... Hope that helps! Would love to talk more with you about birding in TN!

Here Some Tennessee Hummingbirds-"Locals To"

hello! New member here and disappointed to learn no one here from Tennessee yet LOL. I have a bird I am trying to identify. I thought I had identified it as a purple finch but am not sure as the bird I see on my finch bar is a leaner bird with less plump and feathers. I haven't managed to get photo of it yet. But it does have a slight red area around head just doesn't quite look like the finch photos i have seen. And supposedly for Tennessee they are gone by April? Any ideas? B :)

Hey,here are a few "pics" of some local middle Tennessee Hummingbirds. http://www.flickr.com/photos/akersjc2000

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back