• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bears in Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Den C

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a guided wildlife holiday to see some furry friends (and maybe a few feathered ones as well) in Scandinavia.

Google has thrown up a few Finnish results, but would ideally like to hear from someone's who been there and done it!

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Den

The Finnish sites are very reliable ways to see the bears, and the sheer number visiting over the course of a (light) night can be impressive. No guide needed, just book a night in the hide.

Naturetrek do some short trips for Brown Bear sightings. I was there for two back to back + had excellent views where you spend evening/night in the hide + then do some trails during the day looking at other mammals (Moose, Red Squirrel in my case, various birds such as Siberian Tit, Siberian Jay, Three-toed Woodpecker, various butterflies, dragonflies + plants.

I was lucky to see Wolverine with the second group in the early hours from the hide.

I booked a week's trip as an independent trip with Wild Brown Bear in Finland, visiting in June 2018. What an excellent trip!! Had bear sightings most nights, along with wolverine & fox. There was a wolf around the hides seen by some visitors while there (not by me unfortunately).

I found this site more natural than say the other sites in Finland. The site used by Naturetrek seems a bit "forced" for want of a better description. Yes, WBB do leave food out, but it seems that the bears don't rely on that as a food source.

Have a look at their website (www.wildbrownbear.fi) or if you want a guided trip to the site there are a couple of young photographers Harry Read & Kyle Moor who are running trips from the UK (www.bearphoto.co.uk)

Happy to help with any other questions you might have about logistics for my trip.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back