• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honor 9 digiscoping (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
For a few years I've been using a Canon S95 for digiscoping, initially with a Nikon III ED60 then a Kowa 883. I had some good pics but mostly found images could be a bit soft.

I had to get a new phone last autumn and bought an Honor 9. I decided to give it a go for digiscoping on a trip to East Lane, Bawdsey and was pleased with a my first go, particularly as it was hand-held. The light for the Meadow Pipit was good though.

Attachments

• Meadow Pipit_2.jpg
    Meadow Pipit_2.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 80
I was on a Suffolk Ornithologists' Group trip last October and ended up at Kessingland where a couple of Shorelark were present. I took quite a few photos and was pleased to get some good photos. Many were blurred due to movement - again still handheld.

Attachments

• Shorelark.jpg
    Shorelark.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 70
Another trip, this time to The Naze and these Jackdaw were fairly close but I did have trouble get images with the birds walking around a lot.

Attachments

• Jackdaws.jpg
    Jackdaws.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 46
The SOG trip this time in December was to Lackford Lakes and had great views of Kingfisher outside one of the hides. The Pochard was on the sailing lake, further away.

I had now made my own digiscoping adapter - using the phone case that came with the phone and a container lid that I had to modify to fit the scope.

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Pochard.jpg
    Pochard.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I visited North Warren, where the ducks were relatively close near one of the hides whereas the Greater White-fronted Geese were distant. Used quite a bit of zoom on the scope and some on the phone. Couldn't get all the goose in focus.

Attachments

• Shoveler.jpg
    Shoveler.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Wigeon.jpg
    Wigeon.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Greater White-fronted Geese.jpg
    Greater White-fronted Geese.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 33
Another trip to East Lane a week ago and again good views of Shorelark.

Attachments

• Shorelark.jpg
    Shorelark.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Herring Gull.jpg
    Herring Gull.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 33
The same day I visited my old patch on the River Deben at Melton, with the tide right several birds were just over the river wall and I got some nice photos.

Attachments

• Greenshank.jpg
    Greenshank.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Redshank.jpg
    Redshank.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 44
  • River Deben.jpg
    River Deben.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back