• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What BIRDS GALLERY can you recommend? (1 Viewer)

maist

Dear friends,
Due to decision of Google administration to close Google+ where I have placed photos of birds and animals till now, I'm looking for new gallery. What BIRDS GALLERY can you recommend?
Will be grateful for assistance,
Alex

I fell foul of this too. My blog posts have all gone to blogger, and the photos downloaded individually onto my pc, then uploaded to Google photos. Both blogger and Google photos owned by Google!
There are likely more suitable places for your photos, which others will hopefully suggest, but mentioning my option as it works and gets your data off Google+

But note that flickr has been bought bySmugMug (a photo hosting company that seems to aim at professionals and ambitious amateurs) which means there has been a change in the user agreement. For the last few years, on a free account one could have as many images as one wanted. Now there's a limit of 1000 pictures for the free account - they want you to pay for their services.

The intend to delete images that take an account above that threshold.

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the Birdforum Gallery which is certainly bird-specific, although there's a size restriction on images.

Andrea

But note that flickr has been bought bySmugMug (a photo hosting company that seems to aim at professionals and ambitious amateurs) which means there has been a change in the user agreement. For the last few years, on a free account one could have as many images as one wanted. Now there's a limit of 1000 pictures for the free account - they want you to pay for their services.

The intend to delete images that take an account above that threshold.

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the Birdforum Gallery which is certainly bird-specific, although there's a size restriction on images.

Andrea

As Delia can confirm, I find it impossibly difficult to navigate the upload procedure!

Not just a restriction on file size on BF, most sites have a limit on file size for obvious reasons but I find the daily posting limit on Birdguides (5 pictures is it?) very restrictive if you want to share your holiday shots.

Last edited:
I have never understood what you find so difficult Andy, guess you've never tried. The number of images posted every day shows that those members don't have an issue.

Here it's a 24 hour limit of 3 pictures. Now this wasn't a restriction imposed by Admin, but at the request of members (see this thread). Many wanted only 1 or 2 uploads. Admin thought this too restrictive so left it at three.

There's no reason why you can't start another discussion to see what the feelings are now on the restrictions.

I don't know what the Bird Guides limit is.

I have never understood what you find so difficult Andy, guess you've never tried. The number of images posted every day shows that those members don't have an issue.

Here it's a 24 hour limit of 3 pictures. Now this wasn't a restriction imposed by Admin, but at the request of members (see this thread). Many wanted only 1 or 2 uploads. Admin thought this too restrictive so left it at three.

There's no reason why you can't start another discussion to see what the feelings are now on the restrictions.

I don't know what the Bird Guides limit is.

Delia, tut, tut, you know I have tried!

On Surfbirds it's browse, select, post, it's not as simple as that here is it as evidenced by the instructions you once sent me.

Why would members want a limit of images posted, don't get that at all?

Must admit to not being familiar with the gallery here due to finding it tricky to navigate but on Surfbirds, images appear chronologically with the newest first and with the ability to search by species, location or photographer, dead easy.

If I've got shots of say a hundred species I want to post, that will take me a month in BF.

Delia,
just looked at the thread you linked and posters there with 30K posts that with respect, I've never heard of so I assume their posts are all pictures?

There are comments about reducing the number of posts to increase the quality and 'perusal' time, well I'm a birder and I just want to see shots of birds, especially those rarely photographed. This seems to me to be another divergence between photographers and birders?

The aim of the BF gallery is it seems, not for birders wanting to post their shots but for photographers to showcase their skills?

Last edited:
browse, select, post

Basically that's all you do here Andy.

The instructions I would have sent you were a step-by-step 'newbies' guide.

If you read that thread I linked to you will see I wasn't making it up LOL

As Delia can confirm, I find it impossibly difficult to navigate the upload procedure!

Not just a restriction on file size on BF, most sites have a limit on file size for obvious reasons but I find the daily posting limit on Birdguides (5 pictures is it?) very restrictive if you want to share your holiday shots.

For holiday shots there is a workaround: go to the vacation thread, start a new thread, and for each post you can do 5 images. There is no limit to the number of posts per day, but most people will write one-two posts with some text and some images for one-two days of the trip, and continue when having written some more and processed some more photos. These images do not make it into the gallery, but they are one BF anyway.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back