• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mother Garlepp's Golden Tanager (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
While busy with a short text regarding the Garlepp brothers … here´s some plausible additional info on:

● the subspecies Tangara arthus sophiae VON BERLEPSCH 1901 (here) as "Calliste sophiae"
Auf Wunsch der beiden Gebrüder Garlepp verwende ich den Vornamen ihrer Mutter für diese prächtige Art, indem ich ihnen hierdurch gern die Gelegenheit gebe, das Gefühl kindlicher Pietät zum Ausdruck zu bringen.
= Sophia Garlepp née Polysius [probably not "Poelysius"] (1838–1923), mother of the two German collectors Gustav Garlepp (1862–1907) and his younger brother Otto Garlepp (1864–1959).

Note: I haven´t checked her through and through, not in full depth, I guess you need to know German to do that, I focused on her Sons instead (my main topic this day) …

However; don´t hesitate to prove me wrong!

Björn

PS. Gustav Garlepp, born 24 Juli 1862, in the small village of Cörmigk (Salzlandkreis, in Saxony-Anhalt), Germany … and he apparently died at Hohenau, by the Parana River, Paraguay, 25 February 1907 (not in 1906, as is sometimes claimed, in various sources, on the "net"). As I understand it his, their, father was Lebracht Garlepp (1832–1911).

I know nothing about the Garlepp family, but [here], I see that a Sophie Garlepp, née Pölysius resided in the town of Cöthen (now Köthen) in 1916...? (As well as an Otto Garlepp, albeit at another address. Gustav & Lebracht were dead by this date.)

IF correct here...

Gustav Adolf Garlepp
Nació: 24 de Jul de 1862 En: Koermigk, Germany
Murió: 25 de Feb de 1907 (a la edad de 44) En: Honehau, Paraguay

So the key may need enhancement by his middle name. His wife was here...

Nombre: Emmy Elisabeth Wessels
Nacimiento: 13 de Oct de 1867 -- Germany, Bremen, Bremen, Westfalen, Pruessen
Fallecimiento: 15 de Abr de 1938 (Edad: 70) -- Honehau, Paraguay

I am not sure if everthing in wikipedia is correct about his brother as I haven't checked anything further nor do I have evidence about the middle name Adolf.

As a side product of Künzel we can find not a good end for Gustav Garlepp here

Er siedelte sich in der deutschen Kolonie Hohenau an und fiel dort am 25. 2. 1907 einem Meuchelmörder in Gegenwart seiner Frau und seinen 5 Kindern zum Opfer.

So no natural death.

Attached find a birth record for his son Alfred (who was born 5 months before the family emmigrated) indicating that for his father "Gustav Adolf Garlepp" was his full name. :) P

Attachments

• 42637_6425_5622014-00077.jpg
    42637_6425_5622014-00077.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back