• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly of 2019 (1 Viewer)

I had a lovely fresh Comma today, which is pretty amazing because they are very scarce on St Agnes. I've come here and realised I haven't looked up 'earliest dates in UK' so now I'm here can anyone save me the bother. Could it be an immigrant?

I had a lovely fresh Comma today, which is pretty amazing because they are very scarce on St Agnes. I've come here and realised I haven't looked up 'earliest dates in UK' so now I'm here can anyone save me the bother. Could it be an immigrant?

Most likely an individual emerging from diapause as they overwinter as adults.

Most likely an individual emerging from diapause as they overwinter as adults.

Thanks. I'd briefly gleaned that from UK butterflies but had forgotten to look at the emergence date. First Comma recorded on here was only about seven years ago; just two records last year AFAIK.

Small Tortoiseshell today.

Bit gripped to hear that someone I was working with today saw a 'massive dragonfly' in one of the villages en route to where we are working from their car as they drove through ... and which I drove through an hour or so later.

Holly Blue in Falmouth today .. species no 5 for the year.

(Dreamt I'd seen a Speckled Wood the other night (!), and still not seen a Red Admiral yet.)

Several reports of Large Tortoiseshell along the South Coast from Cornwall to Dungeness. I understand they may have bred in the UK last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back