• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater Estate, Whitburn List (1 Viewer)

Heard Yellow-browed Warbler from the garden, but still not seen so left off the list for now. Did however get to add another today.

86. Redpoll

A big fall of birds on Saturday resulted in plenty of Goldcrests in the garden and a few Brambling, Chiffchaff and Blackcaps. I hoped for something good, but the only addition to the list was something that I somehow manager to miss last winter.

87. Fieldfare

Enjoying the change of the clocks so I can have a 15 minute seawatch before work and today turned up a new species for the list.

89. Goldeneye

It seems a long time since the last addition to the list, but I got one eventually. Whooper Swans pass regularly at this time of year, over 300 so far this year by Whitburn Obs, so it was only a matter of time before I connected from home and a flock of 17 went past this morning.

90. Whooper Swan

Some cracking birds in what must be an excellent location!

Would be great to see a pic of the view you have over the sea to get some context.

Cheers
Mike

A shot of the garden and the view showing the small gap through which I can see the sea. Also a picture of the mega that awaited me when I got home from work yesterday and was around again this morning.

91. Turtle Dove

Attachments

• IMG_9472 (1000x750).jpg
    IMG_9472 (1000x750).jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9473 (1000x721).jpg
    IMG_9473 (1000x721).jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Turtle Dove 4 (1000x737).jpg
    Turtle Dove 4 (1000x737).jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 84
If you look in the first picture in post 48 you can just make out a large nest in a tree above next doors conservatory. This appeared whilst I was on holiday and I had been wondering what was responsible. I got my answer today and it was a garden tick.

92. Moorhen

Was watching a Peregrine over the garden when 4 Geese flew over, having seen over 100 Canada's passing within 500 metres of the house this morning that is what I was expecting these to be, but not this time.

93. Greylag Goose

Missed a Long-tailed Skua that was seen from Whitburn Obs this morning, but was able to add a bird to the house list with a little help from those in the Obs.

95. Scaup

Last edited:
Have been putting in some effort to get Roseate Tern or Balearic Shearwater on the list, no luck so far, but did manage to add a bird in the garden this morning.

96. Bullfinch

Getting close to 100 species, so was reviewing targets yesterday and realised I had missed Cormorant off the list and I see these most days. Still some relatively easy species to get, Long-tailed Tit stands out, as something I should get in the garden. A few easy ducks still needed, Red-breasted Merganser and Long-tailed Duck stand out as species I see regularly off the coast, but most seem to fly quite close in and perhaps too close to be seen from the house.

97. Cormorant

Was hoping for something good with the strengthening northerly winds and managed to pick up an addition this morning flying high rather than being too close and out of sight.

98. Red-breasted Merganser

Hoping for a Yellow-browed Warbler, as they seem to be everywhere at the moment and so far it is a heard only garden bird. Did however get a flyover tick.

101. Rock Pipit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back