• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured gull (1 Viewer)

BirdB

Hello friends. I found an injured gull with a twisted wing. It appears the poor thing was hit by a car. I found it on the sidewalk, immobile but alive. Upon bringing it home, I disinfected and wrapped the bird up to limit its movement.

My knowledge on bird anatomy is fairly limited, which leads me to an important question.

I noticed what seemed like a broken bone near the affected wing. I know birds have external wing bones so I might be confused here.

Does this gull have a chance at recovering if I give it a comfortable place until it does or are things looking bad?
(Photo in attachment)

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• img_20180721_001334 (1).jpg
    img_20180721_001334 (1).jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 25
Sorry, it has a broken wing, with the bone sticking out: chances of survival = 0. It'll be in severe pain. Euthenasia is the only option, sad to say - take it to a vet as soon as possible.

Welcome to Birdforum, even if it is under such distressing circumstances

Thank you both for your responses. Sadly, I woke up this morning to find it had passed. I gave it a proper burial. I find a bit of comfort in knowing it didn't die in the street.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back