• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Treecreeper (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Jean-Marc Pons, Alice Cibois, Jérôme Fournier, Jérôme Fuchs, Georges Olioso, Jean-Claude Thibault; Gene flow and genetic divergence among mainland and insular populations across the south-western range of the Eurasian treecreeper (Certhia familiaris, Aves), Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, , bly200, https://doi.org/10.1093/biolinnean/bly200

Abstract:

The Eurasian treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) comprises two mitochondrial lineages that diverged during the mid-Pleistocene. One palaeoendemic lineage has an allopatric range currently restricted to the island of Corsica and the Caucasus region, whereas the second one has a very large Eurasian range. Here, we used microsatellites (N = 6) and mitochondrial DNA (COI) to assess the genetic structure of insular and mainland populations from Corsica, mainland France and Central Italy (N = 258) and the level of mitochondrial and nuclear gene flow among these populations. Concordant with the mitochondrial DNA signal, the results for microsatellites clearly demonstrate that the Corsican population (Certhia familiaris corsa) is strongly divergent from nearby mainland populations (Certhia familiaris macrodactyla). Microsatellite data also support significant divergence and low gene flow between the Central Italian and mainland French populations. Our results suggest low nuclear gene flow from the mainland into Corsica and no mitochondrial gene flow. Sporadic gene flow from the nearby mainland might explain the presence of continental nuclear alleles in the genome of 5% of sampled insular birds. Our study confirms the existence of an endemic Corsican treecreeper lineage with important conservation value. Our results also imply that Eurasian treecreepers from Central Italy constitute a distinct management unit.

On Corsica it looks quite different (long bill), but I found that it sounds very similar to the mainland birds.

I don't get to hear Eurasian Treecreeper very often, so I'm not really familiar with the variation in vocalisations, but I thought the song in Corsica to be a bit more forceful than mainland European birds, and lacking the "final flourish" trill. This is a rather poor recording I made: https://www.xeno-canto.org/418621.

However, I readily acknowledge this might be down to a lack of experience on my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back