• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus Kinlochbervie (1 Viewer)

Same shorter right hand tusk

Seem to remember reading somewhere that Walrus are 'handed', preferentially using one tusk for digging, with that tusk getting greater wear. So all 'right-handed' Walrus share this character.

Worth checking the pics for other more distinctive individual marks, such as scratches or scars in the skin.

Currently a bit busy watching Wally! See my tweets for details.

That is some going to get around to Wick for the Walrus, single track roads for some of the way! Assume he must be healthy then, I should be there in a about 10 days...

Have you managed to see any Orca yet; I think it is the Orca watch this weekend off John O'Groates? Plenty of observers; I had 6 off there very close in last year.

Matthew Rodgers

That is some going to get around to Wick for the Walrus, single track roads for some of the way! Assume he must be healthy then, I should be there in a about 10 days...

Have you managed to see any Orca yet; I think it is the Orca watch this weekend off John O'Groates? Plenty of observers; I had 6 off there very close in last year.

Matthew Rodgers

A pod of Orca in the Moray Firth last night.

YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!

Walrus still Wick at dawn. Tucked right in against seawall so you have to go down to the lifeboat station to see.

What a guy. Straight into my Top three world wildlife experiences.

Twitch if you can.

Some pics.

Attachments

• DSCN7985 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN7985 (Medium).JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN7970 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN7970 (Medium).JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN7961 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN7961 (Medium).JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN7958 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN7958 (Medium).JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 72
Well, shows what little I know about Walruses. He was fit enough to swim all the way from Kinlochbervie to here at Wick no problem in a week. He's still here on Wick beach this morning (07.00 now) in the same place as last night, dozing and fidgeting. The next high tide is at 09.00.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is the same walrus?

That one seems to have slightly longer tusks and a small circular scar on the upper right flank.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnW-HqfLBc4

The one on Paul's photo has tusks only about as long as the length between the eye and the base of the tusk. And has wounds on the neck, on the right front flipper, and on the lower right flank closer to the hind flipper. I assume that the colour changes when it is warm/cold.

Congratulations, anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back