• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reeve's Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Seen today in the field adjacent to the house also feeding with the geese on a neighbours small holding. What on earth is it doing here? Any thoughts?

Seen today in the field adjacent to the house also feeding with the geese on a neighbours small holding. What on earth is it doing here? Any thoughts?

Around stately homes and turns up on pheasant shoots from time to time (half a dozen on my patch five years ago, no sign since.) I assume that when shoots buy their five million pulli, a few get shoved in to make up numbers or by accident or something.

I think I read somewhere that they are fast high flyers and therefore the devil to shoot - perhaps especially for the corporate gun that hasn't grown up with a twelve-bore in hand.

I'm probably going to be shot down myself for this but I think its Reeves' (or Reeves's) Pheasant.

John

I wonder how many butlers have been gunned down on pheasant shoots due to the mishearing of "quick, bag that Reeves'" for "quick, bag that Jeeves"

Always good to start new guns on a rough shoot for peasants, old chap! Returning to pheasants; there used to be a few Reeves' hybrids near the Fingeringhoe visitor centre. The Crossland shoot at Great Braxted used to release Golden Pheasants. I guess shoots often include a few exotics, which have been raised in captivity.

Dave

I guess shoots often include a few exotics, which have been raised in captivity.
Now that makes for an interesting experiment . . . get hold of a few hundred day-old bantam hen chicks, and slip them in with the pheasant chicks . . . come back on the first shooting day, and see the reaction on the toffs' faces when they discover they've just shot a chicken 3:)

Now that makes for an interesting experiment . . . get hold of a few hundred day-old bantam hen chicks, and slip them in with the pheasant chicks . . . come back on the first shooting day, and see the reaction on the toffs' faces when they discover they've just shot a chicken 3:)

Be even more interesting if it was a bantam cock, according to Jake Thackray.

John

For a spooky coincidence, John, the plans for a model of the Gresley Class V4 locomotive 3401, named 'Bantam Cock', are advertised on Reeves Model Engineers website: http://www.ajreeves.com/bantam-cock-390-c.asp.

Only two V4 class were built, the second, un-named, was nicknamed 'Bantam Hen'.
MJB

"the Bantam thundered on...." works for me!

Coincidence. It's a funny old thing, isn't it? Or should I say its two funny old things....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back