• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My birding experiences (1 Viewer)

Looks like you're seeing a nice variety of things! Wrens are among my favorites. Did you see if the vultures had smelled something "good" for dinner on the ground?

On a walk through our local park yesterday I saw several goldfinches, robins, and one of my rarest finds, a northern flicker!

They do not often come into town, so it was a very nice treat to see

Saw another northern flicker today, but on the other end of town (This time, with a much closer view) Also heard chickadees, house wrens, a carolina wren and a pileated woodpecker in the forest

Also may have seen a downy or hairy woodpecker flying away from my shelled peanut feeded :D it had white on the wings, glack on the back with white spots but did not see face due to it flying away. Also seemed like a woodpecker shape, could have been a rose breasted grosbeak though

Lastly, just heard a cedar waxwing calling

Saw yet another northern flicker :p (July must be month of the flickers lol :p )
he was on a backroad this time and I could'nt see him all to well, just the outline and a brief close sight made me know it was a flicker. Also heard a woodpecker (most likely a downy woodpecker) on the same road

have heard several house wrens, chickadees, possibly a red breasted nuthatch, cedar waxwings and also MAY have seen either a blue winged warbler OR a yellow warbler in my yard tonight :)

I may have seen a great horned owl flying last night as I thought I spotted the sillouete of one, not quite sure though

Have seen alot of turkey vultures lately, also heard a few gray catbirds in the forest yesterday

my red-breasted grosbeak has finally returned after awhile :) also had a better view of the warbler today, I am almost positive now that it is either a blue winged warbler OR a pine warbler

If I wanted to keep him as a more regular visitor to my yard, what could I possibly feed/provide for him/her?

Hmm... not sure there's anything that can entice warblers (other than perhaps mealworms?!?), but maybe someone else will know better.

Sounds like lots of birds I'd love to see - a bit like old friends. Nice work seeing the owl - that's not so easy!

Zoogoer, if the meal worms work I'd sure like to hear about it. I've had no luck whatsoever getting warblers into my yard even though there are at least 6 species in the woods behind the house.

I went out shortly after I posted my last post to put my mealworms out and to my surprise, there were 2 warblers in the yard, I got better looks at them and they have turned out to actually be yellow warblers :)

I have the mealworms out now, hope they find them, if they don't touch that, I have a feeling they may have intrest in the bird bath

I have been talking withg another birdier, he said the warblers are most likely just migrating through, there has been no luck with the mealworms

Saw a northern flicker yesterday, only for about 5 seconds on a tree before it flew away

also saw a wild turkey with her walking across the road a few days ago, and saw several kingbirds

Last edited:
During a walk through the local park today, had a nice discovery! A pair of flickers has made a nest in on of the trees in the wooded area, I saw them going in and out of the hole several times :)

Also saw a cardinal during my walk :)

Alot of seagulls have also been flying over town this past two weeks or so, don't know why that is suddenly happening so much?

I'm am jealous about all your sightings of northern flickers. I only ever saw one once, from a great distance and fairly backlit, but at least I saw one. Would love to see one again some day.

Have had a bird packed day :D !!!

First off this morning on my walk thru the park, saw THREE northern flickers all together searching for ants for about 5 minutes :D was a great sighting! Also saw a seagull walking in the park, saw a cardinal and heard/saw several house wrens

A song sparrow appeared in my lilac tree today, pretty pretty song they have :)

Saw several cedar waxwing and seagulls flying over town later in the afternoon, heard several house wrens and blue jays

At a friends house, saw several hummingbirds feeding from a feeder :)

And to top my day off, I biked down with a friend to the local waterfowl lagoon and saw bank swallow, tree swallow, barn swallow, baltimore oriole, wood duck, mallard duck, great blue heron, canada geese, turkey vulture, eastern kingbird and a downy woodpecker :) also heard several catbirds :)

Overall a very good day and can't wait to see more tommorow :) I think I may see a few raptors where I am headed :D

Last edited:
I'm am jealous about all your sightings of northern flickers. I only ever saw one once, from a great distance and fairly backlit, but at least I saw one. Would love to see one again some day.

I have just started suddenly seeing them all over the place this month! Had never seen any before but I always have to look close to confirm im not seeing red-bellied woodpeckers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back