• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darters in Hunstanton, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

i321587

Hi

I've only recently started taking an interest in dragonflies so would appreciate help identifying this pair. I can't decide whether they are red veined darters or common darters with the pink hydrangea bush giving the impression of red veins. Thoughts and reasons why would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Attachments

• Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(1).jpg
    Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(1).jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(2).jpg
    Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(2).jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(3).jpg
    Common-Darter---Hunstanton---17-August-2015-(3).jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 58
One of the separating features for Red-veined is that the lower half of the eyes is white, you can see on yours that they're yellowy green.

Andy

Pair of Common Darters.

Agree, in #2 you can see the yellow stripes on the black legs, the lower eye is yellowish green which on a Red-veined Darter is actually blue or blue-grey and there is no yellow patch at the base of the hindwings as there would be on RvD.

Shane

Lower half of eyes usually bluish on RVD in my experience.

Sorry aeshna, confusing the feature, bluish rather than yellow green. Don't know why I had white in my brain, should have checked pics and notes before posting!

We had a detailed discussion about this when we found one during an irruption which got in to Belarus for the first time this year, what am I confusing it with?

Andy

Last edited:
Sorry aeshna,
getting the colours mixed up, knew it was a feature and should have checked pics and notes before posting in haste.

We had a discussion about RvD in Belarus where we found it after an irruption where the species reached the Country for the first time.

Sorry for misleading, Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back