• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding query Garden birds (1 Viewer)

Dakiada

Sorry in advance if I am in the wrong place. I bought a feeding station, seeds, nuts and feeding hangers at the start of this week. Where I live there are so many birds around you can't count them yet all I've seen near my feeder is a very large crow. Maybe they don't like me? I have seen many sparrows, starlings and blackbirds visiting my garden but haven't caught them at the feeder yet... Any ideas? I will add a photo shortly

Hi again.

Unfortunately, if you have a lot of crows around, they could be keeping the smaller song birds away from your feeders as the song birds consider Crows as Birds of Prey. If there is a particular feeder or seed that the Crows help themselves to you might want to take that one down for a bit and see if that clears them out.

It takes time for birds to get used to new feeders. I am sure that once your visitors are aware of your feeders and feel safe, they will get lots of use and you will have to fill them up regularly.

after daily flocks of tits (blue, great and longtailed), a regular blackcap, occasional green and goldfinch and more, all winter, my feeders just get a rare visit now. the countryside is full of life and food so they prefer the fresh, live food i think. some will come once broods are raised if just the lazy ones!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back