Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Foreign Visitors to Houston/Upper Texas Coast

Old Friday 14th October 2016, 15:58   #1
bernerjc

Foreign Visitors to Houston/Upper Texas Coast

Foreign birding visitors to Houston/Upper Texas Coast:

Anybody looking for a birding buddy on a weekend morning (Sat, Sun and 50% of Fridays)-I am often available--love to show people around--or you could join me on whatever planned birding outing that is already planned for that day.

I am NOT looking to be a paid guide--more interested in helping occasional visitors with lifer needs lists. I am the ebird reviewer for Harris County, have seen 350+ species locally, know most local birders, so am familiar with where to find local birds.

I DO have several friends who are paid Bird Guides however--available on most days--so can put you in touch with one of them-if that is more to your liking--for a full day of scouring the area.

I have benefitted from birding buddies in England and Missouri, USA so would love to return the favor occasionally.

John B
W. Houston

Last edited by bernerjc : Friday 14th October 2016 at 16:07.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th October 2016, 11:40   #2
Hamhed

Bernerjc - Have you thought about joining the Birding Pal organization? Helping others find birds is
good karma!

http://www.birdingpal.org

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th October 2016, 05:37   #3
bernerjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhed View Post
Bernerjc - Have you thought about joining the Birding Pal organization? Helping others find birds is
good karma!

http://www.birdingpal.org

Steve
Thanks Steve!--Due to your suggestion, I just signed up for Birding Pal (again). However, I never got a single birding pal email the last time i signed up for Birding Pal nine years ago. Hopefully this time will be better.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th October 2016, 14:46   #4
Hamhed

I admit, the participation is a little erratic. Some years, I have 6-8 people contact me; this year, only two. I think the site could use two improvements - a ratings or comments page and a way to weed out those signed up but not responding.
The concept of Birding Pals is great but I don't believe the site is a money maker. Probably started more as a labor of love that has grown difficult to maintain. At this point, maybe those Pals with faith in the system should continue as quality contacts to build faith in others.
Meanwhile, if I'm ever headed your way, I know who to contact!

Steve

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 16:06   #5
Fiscalshrike

I'm going to San Antonio rather than Houston, but I wonder if BirdingPal is even functioning anymore? I paid my annual membership last year (now required to even send emails), did get some slow feedback on enquiries in July, but nothing from 2 enquiries sent to San Antonio birders in the past 2 weeks. It would be nice to even here 'nope, can't bird. Too busy', but nothing at all means one doesn't know if the system is even working anymore. There appears to be little activity and nothing is dated to check for current activity.
I know this doesn't help you, and it isn't meant to be a whine, but I was wondering about other's action on birdingPal. Seems a great system, but as mentioned, I think it may have become difficult to maintain.
In the meantime, I am waiting for the SA Audubon website to update their February activities so I can see what I can ask to join.
Cheers and happy birding.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 18:49   #6
Dave B Smith

Hey John,
Glad to see you're still real active in Houston birding. Been quite a while since we've been birding together. I'll try to catch up with you on one of our visits to see our grandkids!
Take care,
Dave

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 23:44   #7
Hamhed

For a recent trip outside the states, I contacted several Birding Pal members. One responded, making me think that at least the system was operating. I tend to place more of the blame on those who joined and no longer participate. Last spring, I had someone contact me to visit my area. In response, I gave some advice, offered to take the person birding (gratis), inquired about target birds and included my personal email. Never heard from them again. Is that the system breaking down? That's one possibility but my thought is that something changed at their end and they backed out but didn't care to let me know because there are no consequences to being slack.
It is discouraging to have this great idea work so poorly. I've tried incorporating my email in every first message I send to bypass the Birding Pal system but that has never worked except for those who are following through anyway. No one has ever emailed me directly to say, to paraphrase Fiscalshrike's words, "Oh, sorry but I can't make it. Thanks anyway.".
When it works, the contacts I've made have all been really good ones. That's what keep me trying and hoping that someday it will come together.

Steve

Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 09:58   #8
Fiscalshrike

Steve, thanks for the experience report. I think your observations are most correct. In the meantime, I keep checking my 'Junk' box in the event things are misdirected. Looking forward to San Antonio shortly - for birding in greener pastures than I have in February.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 10:44   #9
Paul Collins

Hi John, I'm visiting Houston in mid April so will send you an email as it would be great to have someone to bird local sites with. Best, Paul
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: