• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waders (1 Viewer)

paul_j_c2000

Hi every one, you must cringe when you see my name ive been out again on river blackwater estuary, lovely day i have a couple of puzzlers for me anyway,the first one with the black tail marking i thought black tailed godwit the others on other pict one in front red shank one behind ? thanks for all your patience and help paul

Attachments

• img_0034a.jpg
    img_0034a.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 239
Nice pictures Paul,

A) Black-tailed Godwit - Well done. Maybe a juvenile moulting into winter plumage?
B) Redshank to the fore and a Grey Plover behind. I think both are adults.

Hmm, okay maybe it is a Golden Plover but it's rather heavy looking to me and I would say it looks greyish-brown and not as bright as I would expect a Golden to look in such good light. Any pictures of it without a Redshank in front Paul?

Paul,don't apologise for postings such as these;the bird ID section is my personal favourite and I have learned a lot by following the rationale of such as Michael F and Spud.You only have to see the number and speed of responses to realise that this area of BF is popular.

ps I'd say Golden Plover behind the Redshank.

plover pict

this is another bird from same picture they appear to be identical does this help paul

Attachments

• plover.jpg
    plover.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 219
American G-P could account for greyerness. Supercilium is pretty strong. Small bill indicates GP species. Get that miserable Redshank outta there...

Oops, you did. Back to the book....

Last edited:
the paleness of the bird in certain areas be a photographic effect? Super is strong as on AGP but the front of the face and throat are too white and not shown nearly as much on first pic!
back end doesn't look quite right for AGP?
for me a GP

I'll stick with Golden Plover then, the second bird shows barred flanks (streaked or plain in Grey) and a definitely small bill.

Spud

I'm with Spud - Blackwit for the first pic, Redshank in front, European Golden Plover behind for the second.

Not enough black on the mantle feathering for American GP, and as Tim says, the rear end is the wrong shape (primaries not sticking out way beyond the tertials & tail). European GPs often show this much supercilium, particularly early in the winter when they still have traces of summer plumage

Hope the red eye is a photo effect! If not, it is the devil incarnate, masquerading as a Golden Plover 3:)

Michael

Charles Harper said:
Fine, I was just rationalizing F'birder's comment on colour.
Thanks Charles, although I'd rationalise more by saying that I wasn't looking hard enough. As we discovered on another recent thread, jizz (which is what I went on) isn't always the best guide especially in photographs. Both birds obviously look quite grey for Golden Plover but they don't look right for Grey Plover either. Thinking about it, in some lights Goldens can look surprisingly 'non-golden' in colour, although I wonder if the greyness is an effect of the camera here or if they really looked that colour.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back