Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Siskins and Redpolls appealingly absent this Winter?

Old Thursday 23rd January 2020, 11:24   #26
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Ledpolls?

John
Naaah. Redporrs.

Old Thursday 23rd January 2020, 20:30   #27
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Naaah. Redporrs.
Let'th hear it for the Thithkinth!
MJB
Old Thursday 23rd January 2020, 20:45   #28
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
That's the second** word this week from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary; even then it was archaic...
MJB
**The first word was 'imitatress', which BLI adopted for Cryptic Honeyeater...
Remember Googlewhacks? (See wikipedia if not).

Doing a search and getting a unique return on BF is something akin to, and a source of some pride or something I guess. Unfortunately imatatress has now appeared on 4 different threads in total, so no longer counts. 'Appealingly' is still only on one (this one), and the even rarer 'appea*ingly' (where * = r) on none.

Only real words (archaic included) count though, so eg thithkinths etc don't.

Old Friday 24th January 2020, 09:07   #29
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
That'th thoe eethee for you to thay!
MJB
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 09:17   #30
dantheman
Bah humbug

Ravens can count to 5 or more I believe. Not sure about the smaller passerines.

Lisp (45)
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 11:00   #31
andyadcock

Quote:
Remember Googlewhacks? (See wikipedia if not).

Doing a search and getting a unique return on BF is something akin to, and a source of some pride or something I guess. Unfortunately imatatress has now appeared on 4 different threads in total, so no longer counts. 'Appealingly' is still only on one (this one), and the even rarer 'appea*ingly' (where * = r) on none.

Reminds me of a competition between mates in the pub where we had to come up with as many names of footballers as we could, whose first and last initial was the same, my contribution, Wayne Wooney.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 24th January 2020 at 11:16.
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 11:06   #32
Jonno52
John
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
One, repeat one, Redwing on my patch this year so far (SW London). No Fieldfares, Siskin or Redpoll. Usually plenty of Redwings and a few of the others. The Rowan berries are all still there if there are any takers....
I'm also in SW London, largely flatbound, but I'd normally expect to see a Redwing or two by now. Still none (and Fieldfares only turn up in really hard winters). As far as thrushes are concerned, I'm still walking on air from a magnificent Ring Ouzel photographed from my bedroom window on 24 October last year.

Many years since I saw a Siskin from my flat, and never a Redpoll in the 37 years I've been here.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2020, 13:43   #33
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Reminds me of a competition between mates in the pub where we had to come up with as many names of footballers as we could, whose first and last initial was the same, my contribution, Wayne Wooney.
I'd struggle to come up with the names of any footballers at all, whatever the initials
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 13:47   #34
Farnboro John

Quote:
That'th thoe eethee for you to thay!
MJB
Welease Wodewick!

John
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 13:51   #35
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
I'd struggle to come up with the names of any footballers at all, whatever the initials
Lineker, Gary Barlow, Pele, that Cantona bloke?
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 14:14   #36
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Lineker, Gary Barlow, Pele, that Cantona bloke?
Looked them up; Gary Barlow seems to be a pop singer (something called 'take that'), the other three turn out to be ex-footballers . . . so you've not named any either
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 14:37   #37
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Looked them up; Gary Barlow seems to be a pop singer (something called 'take that'), the other three turn out to be ex-footballers . . . so you've not named any either
Was messing with you a tad Mind you don't know Pele's initials, or any that fit Andy's game criteria ... or do I ... ?

... Roy of the Rovers?

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 24th January 2020 at 14:52.
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 14:51   #38
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:

... Roy of the Rovers?

(not to be confused with Loy of the Lovers, star of that old Jackie Chan romcom)
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 14:53   #39
Farnboro John

Quote:
Was messing with you a tad Mind you don't know Pele's initials, or any that fit Andy's game criteria ... or do I ... ?

... Roy of the Rovers?
He was Roy Race, so that would fit!

Mind you I was brought up to believe It's Goals That Count....

John
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 15:02   #40
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Getting back on topic... I was up in some larch forest in Aberdeenshire today and there were loads of Siskins feeding on the cones, along with lots of other birds. This included two Bramblings. I didn't see any Redpolls though, which was a bit surprising.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2020, 15:33   #41
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
Getting back on topic... I was up in some larch forest in Aberdeenshire today and there were loads of Siskins feeding on the cones, along with lots of other birds. This included two Bramblings. I didn't see any Redpolls though, which was a bit surprising.
Larch? How many Two-barred Crossbills?
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 15:47   #42
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Not going to swap the r's and l's in that one

3 Redwing in the Holly tree at the bottom of the garden this morning - been no visible berries in it for a while. The Hawthorn slowly being denuded by eg Blackcaps and Blackbirds.
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 15:57   #43
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I didn't see any but I didn't have enough time to look. Might be worth looking though. There were certainly some Common Crossbills around. This was at Bennachie, for anyone in the Aberdeenshire area.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th January 2020, 15:58   #44
MJB

Quote:
Was messing with you a tad Mind you don't know Pele's initials, or any that fit Andy's game criteria ... or do I ... ? ... Roy of the Rovers?
Strictly speaking he didn't have any initials with the name 'Pele'; he was actually named Edson Arantes do Nascimento...
MJB
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 16:05   #45
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
I didn't see any but I didn't have enough time to look. Might be worth looking though. There were certainly some Common Crossbills around. This was at Bennachie, for anyone in the Aberdeenshire area.
All those ones in Shetland in the summer must've gone somewhere . . . they're there for the finding!

Just hope it wasn't out to a watery grave in the Atlantic!
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 20:28   #46
MJB

Quote:
Anyone in the Aberdeenshire area 'up among the heather on the hill o' Bennachie' knew what went on there...
MJB
Old Friday 24th January 2020, 20:37   #47
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Anyone in the Aberdeenshire area 'up among the heather on the hill o' Bennachie' knew what went on there...
MJB
At least it wasn't at a ball in Kirriemuir

Listening to Birds

Old Friday 24th January 2020, 22:21   #48
dwallace

Redwings have been much more numerous than usual on my south Hampshire patch. Siskins and Redpolls have been conspicuous by their absence.

Dave W
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 08:21   #49
andyadcock

Quote:

... Roy of the Rovers?
Think you mean Woy of the Wovers.
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 10:45   #50
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace View Post
Redwings have been much more numerous than usual on my south Hampshire patch. Siskins and Redpolls have been conspicuous by their absence.

Dave W
Yes it’s interesting how differing species can concentrate themselves in a relatively small area for the duration. During the Hawfinch irruption two years ago for that period at home I had just a few flyovers.
However the main flock was concentrated in a very small area a couple of miles away and could be accessed (with patience) almost daily.

I’ve had the same experience with Brambling obviously at the time each species will have a preferred feeding location, for me it was Blackthorn for the former and Beechmast for the latter, and yet in other years both species (mostly absent) but can appear more randomly as singles or in small groups.

The problem is that with climate change upon us one might be forgiven (jumping the gun) in declaring that yet “another” species is experiencing decline! When it might just be a natural fluctuation for that species...ie a good breeding season coupled to a poor local crop failure, resulting in mass exodus afar to a more “bountiful” location....time will tell no doubt?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: