Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

film scanner advice ?

Old Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:17   #1
Owen

film scanner advice ?

Hi guys. I'm keen to archive many of my transparencies and 35mm negatives and I'm looking into scanners, particularly the Nikon Coolscan V. If you have experience of film scanning I'd be extremely grateful for some advice !

First, I've heard the "ICE" feature doesn't work well with Kodachrome film..... Does this include Kodak Elitechrome EC 100 ?

Also, does the film holder allow you to put in a strip of film with just one or two frames on it, or does it have to be at least 4-6 frames long ?

Does anyone recommend any other machines ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Owen.
UK
Old Thursday 23rd June 2005, 19:11   #2
Leif
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen
Hi guys. I'm keen to archive many of my transparencies and 35mm negatives and I'm looking into scanners, particularly the Nikon Coolscan V. If you have experience of film scanning I'd be extremely grateful for some advice !

First, I've heard the "ICE" feature doesn't work well with Kodachrome film..... Does this include Kodak Elitechrome EC 100 ?

Also, does the film holder allow you to put in a strip of film with just one or two frames on it, or does it have to be at least 4-6 frames long ?

Does anyone recommend any other machines ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Owen.
UK
Owen: Kodachrome is quite distinct from most other colour slide films as it does not contain the colour dyes. These are added during processing. Anyway, for some reason Kodachrome is hard to scan and many otherwise excellent scanners cannot do it properly, with or without ICE. Anyway, Kodak Elitechrome is a 'normal' slide film, and uses E6 processing. Most of the slide films on sale today are E6, and hence can be scanned okay, with or without ICE. The Nikon Collscan V is an excellent scanner and should have no proble with E6 films, with or without ICE.

I have a Minolta Elite 5400 (the old model) and although a bit slow when ICE is on, it can scan both E6 and Kodachrome, both with and without ICE. IMO it is an excellent scanner. I believe that the new Minolta Elite 5400 mark 2 has trouble with Kodachrome + ICE but is as fast as the Nikon.

Leif

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th June 2005, 08:27   #3
bushman

Nikon Coolscan 1V

Hi Owen, when I went over to digital I bought a Coolscan 1V, which has a separate setting for Kodachrome and also ICE. Although ICE does work, you do have to make sure that your slides are free of large amounts of dust with any scanner. Mine has seen very little use and is about to go up for sale at 250, if you are interested please let me know. The strip holder and feeder have never been used and the scanner is in mint condition with all software and lead.
Cheers, John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: