• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepieces touching glasses? (1 Viewer)

Roberto72

If you use glasses, do the (closed) eyepieces of your binocular usually touch physically the lenses of your glasses?
Or do they stay separate?

How does all this affect any binocular vibrations (e.g. in the classic 8-10x42)?

Thank you

Hi Roberto,

I suppose I must have tried out two or three hundred different 8x and 10x binoculars with their eye cups fully down and not once have the lenses of my glasses touched those of the eye pieces. I can't say that it couldn't happen with some prescriptions, but I don't think it should be a cause for concern.

David

I think Roberto you mean the closed eye cup rather than the eyepiece lens itself. In which case when using glasses I always gently press my glasses against the eye cup as it seems comfy like that and I believe adds stability.

You asked how it adds stability and it's because by being in contact with your glasses that are in contact with your head the vibrations are locked into the motion of your head. And your head's pretty stable. The challenge then is reduce the vibrations of the front objective end and so holding the binoculars near the end or some quirky hand position that puts your hands in contact with your head while holding the binoculars can help reduce vibration.

Roberto,

Mpeace is right, your post can be read that way too. I prefer my glasses to touch the eye cups for stability. My glasses are fairly close fitting, so on most binocular models I prefer to twist out the eye cups a little. Unfortunately differen companies measure their ER in different ways so the published specification might be of little help.

David

Last edited:
If you use glasses, do the (closed) eyepieces of your binocular usually touch physically the lenses of your glasses?

How does all this affect any binocular vibrations (e.g. in the classic 8-10x42)?

Thank you

Roberto,

I take it that your question relates to the eye cup rim touching the glasses. (glasses touching the ocular lens is very bad as it will scratch both surfaces !)

I always wear glasses and when viewing through binoculars just lightly rest the rubber rim of the eye cups (which are all the way down) on the lenses of my glasses. Muscle memory hopefully means that they go in exactly the same place every time. The pressure is light so as not to place any undue force on the reasonably delicate frame of my glasses.

I find this light pressure (and connection with my head) to provide a steadying influence to the view - I use 8×42 binoculars.

Chosun :gh:

Once I was reconciled to wearing glasses while viewing with binocs, I had to let go of the idea that 'nothing' should touch my eye glass lenses. Now I'm just used to it. The eyecups go right up against the eyeglasses, and it just plain works. If the eye relief is sufficient, one gets the desired field of view, and all is well.

One other stability strategy I use is to wear a baseball cap with a brim, and I will lightly touch the binocular tubes to the brim of the cap to further damp objective lens motion.

-Bill

Last edited:

Thank you
Hi Roberto, using any binoculars by hand without resting it firmly causes more and more vibrations. And this is never good.

Resting the eyepieces on your glasses will always be preferable and you will surely find the best technique and modality, gaining experience.
I have also modified the shape and ergonomics of my glasses, to use them more easily with binoculars. Then I had to learn how to place the binoculars to increase comfort and better visibility.
Pay attention to the IPD width which is crucial.

Perhaps one of the preferable ways of taking in these cases is two-handed. One that holds one of the objectives (see post 3) and the other that keeps the area of the eyepieces well attached to the glasses, and meanwhile commands the focus.

If you have domed glasses, always be careful to avoid any contact between the glasses (even if your glasses have plastic lenses).

-------------

Ciao Roberto, usare a mano qualsiasi binocolo senza appoggiarlo fermamente, causa sempre più vibrazioni. E questo non è mai buono.

Appoggiare gli oculari ai tuoi occhiali, sarà sempre preferibile e sicuramente troverai la tecnica e la modalità migliore, facendo esperienza.
Io ho anche modificato la forma e l'ergonomia dei miei occhiali, per usarli più facilmente col binocolo. Poi ho dovuto imparare come posizionare il binocolo per aumentare la comodità e la visibilità migliore.
Fai attenzione alla larghezza IPD che è fondamentale.

Forse, una delle modalità preferibili di presa in questi casi, è a due mani. Una che tiene uno degli obiettivi (vedi post 3) e l'altra che tiene la zona degli oculari ben attaccata agli occhiali, e intanto comanda il focus.

Se hai occhiali bombati, fai sempre attenzione ad evitare qualsiasi contatto tra i vetri (anche se i tuoi occhiali hanno lenti in plastica).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back