• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxcap ID (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Is this Hygrocybe conicoides or conica please?

I should add this was photographed in sand dunes on the NW Norfolk coast at the weekend.

Attachments

• waxcap_9oct05_420_20a.jpg
    waxcap_9oct05_420_20a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 92
  • waxcap_9oct05_420_20b.jpg
    waxcap_9oct05_420_20b.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
brianhstone said:
Is this Hygrocybe conicoides or conica please?

I should add this was photographed in sand dunes on the NW Norfolk coast at the weekend.

Tricky! If it is either of the two, then it is too young and fresh to be showing the characteristic blackening.

I am sure it isn't H. conica, in the strict sense, and while the shape is more correct for H. conicoides, the colour is rather bright. H. conicoides is typically a more cherry red, and also a little more sturdy.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that this is the dune form of Hygrocybe persistens (which, as I have said in another post, I think is a distinct species). It is much more orange than typical H. persistens, and also differs in its spores. Indeed a very attractive toadstool!
I personally know it on the East Lothian dunes, but it seems to occur widely round the east and south coasts.

Nice photos, but in this case, just a little too nice. If only there was an old, manky one in shot!

Alan

There was another similar fruitbody very nearbly. It was slightly smaller and yellowish without any hint of orange/red tones. At the time I wondered if it might be a form of the same species. I have no photos I'm afraid. Would different colour forms of this same species occur together?

brianhstone said:
There was another similar fruitbody very nearbly. It was slightly smaller and yellowish without any hint of orange/red tones. At the time I wondered if it might be a form of the same species. I have no photos I'm afraid. Would different colour forms of this same species occur together?

Yes, they can, but quite a few waxcaps are yellow or have yellow variants (just as many normally yellow species can have orange or red variants).

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back