• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts - new colony started! (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
That Magic Moment I've been waiting for, has finally arrived!

Imagine my delight, when I ventured out into my garden today, the 22nd of July & looked up at my Swift Nest Boxes to see my first young Swift looking down at me! ��

My Swift Nest Boxes went up in 2015 so it's only taken 3 years to get this new colony up & running, from no Swifts in this very rural area to me now having up to 8 Swifts over my garden some mornings this year.

My boxes are actually on a South facing wall, so clearly they were suitable, despite the record extended heatwave we've enjoyed in recent weeks.
You can learn more by visiting my blog:

Blog: Swift breeding success on a South facing wall!

Video: Swifts breeding in my north Antrim garden!

Has anyone else here been trying to establish a colony of Swifts?

Cheers,
Dick

Last edited:
Excellent !!, one of my favourite birds and well done for your patience in tempting them in, I would imagine this year has been a good one for Swifts

Mark

Hi Dick,

Imagine my delight, when I ventured out into my garden today, the 22nd of July & looked up at my Swift Nest Boxes to see my first young Swift looking down at me!

Congratulations, that's a great success! :)

Do you happen to have drawings of your ingenious double-walled nest boxes? First time I've ever seen anything like this, and it's great to hear it works well in practice!

How high above the ground did you mount the boxes?

The four Swift nests in my immediate neighbourhood are at a height of 12 m above the ground. No nest boxes, but holes a woodpecker built into the external insulation layer of some old appartment houses.

I'd like to convince my father to mount some boxes on his house, but the most suitable wall is the south-facing one, which I thought was not a good choice due to the heat issue.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back