• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any 15/16x binocular fans here (1 Viewer)

The gain of 40% using a binocular instead of a scope assumes the observer has two equally good eyes and has no prism problems.
Many people have one eye better than the other, so the gain is less and sometimes minimal.

However, someone that I gave a 15x70 binocular likes it even though one eye is unfortunately poor.

I use both standard and IS binoculars.
Hand held the Canon 18x50 IS out resolves any hand held 15x or probably any standard hand held binocular.
The Zeiss 20x60S is better but not user friendly for me.
I am not a zealot using IS binoculars, maybe 15 different ones over the years.
If hand held fine detail is to be seen that is just the way to go.
Or one can use a tripod, but I dislike tripods for binoculars, and sometimes a tripod mounted binocular will just not get to difficult angles.

With bigger than bird watching instruments it is always a scope for me.

I’m almost legally blind in my left eye (still can see the big E on the eye chart). With that said. Still find it way more comfortable and enjoy the views better in binoculars then a spotting scope

I don't think anyone has suggested that it would be "replaceable". We are just saying that under some circumstances we prefer the binocular instrument for at least two reasons.

And some of those reasons are strong enough to be content with the slightly lower magnification and leave the spotting scope at home

Heck, I’m even contemplating selling them to buy more binoculars

Last edited:
I am not surprised that many find a binocular more relaxing than a scope, even if one eye is not so good.
This is probably because of the relaxed viewing, and hand held I find that a binocular is steadier than a monocular, although not always.
The old Kowa 20x50 scope is steady when I use two hands.

Since I was a teenager using a 3 inch refractor I trained both my eyes to stay open when viewing. I can completely ignore the view in the other eye, or use it to find objects.
I don't squint and try to close one eye.
I sometimes used an eye patch at night and also with rifle shooting.
Because of light pollution I increasingly used a large sturdy cardboard box over my head with suitable cut outs.
I did this from home, as doing this in public might be viewed as a little odd.

A policeman once tried to arrest a friend who was hiding behind a bush to avoid light pollution.
I was also stopped at night, with 'Sonny what are you doing in that hoodie'. I said I am 40 years old and just trying to view the sky.
I was written up in the newspaper as laying down in a field for an early view of Comet Halley. I don't consider this odd, others do.

I suppose bird watchers may be concerned with whether their viewing methods seems odd.

I use binoculars up to 20x braced and for 20x and higher I use a scope.
When binocular magnification is simply too low for fine or distant detail, it is a spotting scope, or for even finer detail an astro scope.
A good Celestron 8 can give fine daylight views as can a 6 inch refractor.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has suggested that it would be "replaceable". We are just saying that under some circumstances we prefer the binocular instrument for at least two reasons.

Exactly. I’d hate to scan for whales at 30x, much less 100x. Once the beast is located then, by all means, bring out the scopes.

Best,
Jerry

If I felt like either the Meostar or the Conquest HD 15X56 had enough ER for me, I'd probably give one of those a try. I don't think I'd USE it enough to justify the price of the SLC which is the only one of these I KNOW would be fine.

"With the usual funky eyecups, ergonomics of a toaster, and it's an electronic device counters".

I thought this was funny, and I agree with it.

Andy W.

"With the usual funky eyecups, ergonomics of a toaster, and it's an electronic device counters".

I thought this was funny, and I agree with it.

Andy W.

The Canon eye cups are ok when wearing glasses, but I agree the ergonomics clearly were an afterthought.
The electronic device fixation just seems silly to me. I'd bet everyone who raised that objection is relying on a cell phone, a vastly more complicated electronic device.
'What's sauce for the goose...' would seem relevant.

I have a strong preference for using both eyes myself. I'm curious about the binocular eyepiece that Swarovski now makes for their spotting scopes. Has anyone used it?

My 2 cts to this question.
I started using binos with a 10x50, mainly to watch stars, then trees, then, as often, got hooked and started to watch the whole nature.

Then I bought a 8x42, but noticed I couldn't get a stable image. Because my hands were shaky. I couldn't understand why (I didn't have that with the 10x50) until I tried an 8x32 model. And it was actually worst! I then understood that it was because the Binos were so light, compared to the 10x50. So, sometimes, the adage saying "Buy a 8x because you will get a more stable image " is not always true unfortunately.

Then, I bought a scope, and went to the Mountains often with it. But the tripod + head + scope was something like 4-5 Kg, and even if I'm used to carry heavy backpack, it started to feel too much. Especially above 3000m in the Himalayas.

I then bought a 15x56. And I'm really happy with them (used handheld), and I'm using less and less the scope. I use them for long distance wieving in the Mountains. PROS: 15x56 are lighter than a Tripod+Head+Scope. Two eyes can be used so you can watch longer and more confortably than with a scope. There's always a way to avoid shakiness (I just change the way I'm holding the binos). CONS: As Chuck said, when you need a scope, you need a scope! It mainly depends of the "target" distance. Note that in summer, for long distance wieving above ground, I find a scope quite useless in hot weather, because the heat is making a waving blurry curtain (sorry, I don't know the exact terminology) at long distance, and it's impossible to get a sharp picture anyway.

NOTE: A friend of mine is using his 8x42 for years in the Mountains, and he's really happy with them. But when he puts his eyes behind my15x56, he's telling me that it is a whole new "world" in front of him.

RobMorane, really interesting. A couple of questions. Out of curiosity, now when you do your trekking carrying a 15x56 instead of a scope, do you also carry a small binocular with you (say a 8x32, or even 8x25) for scanning or having a wider view? Or are the 15x56 the only binoculars in your backpack?

(Edit: BTW, which 15x56 do you use, RobMorane?)

Last edited:
RobMorane, really interesting. A couple of questions. Out of curiosity, now when you do your trekking carrying a 15x56 instead of a scope, do you also carry a small binocular with you (say a 8x32, or even 8x25) for scanning or having a wider view? Or are the 15x56 the only binoculars in your backpack?

(Edit: BTW, which 15x56 do you use, RobMorane?)

Actually, I don't carry any other binos.

I trek alone, and my "security gear" (compass, map, GPS, insulated Fjellduk, small stove, 3L of water etc) has priority over another pair of binos.
That's as well the reason why I do not carry them in my backpack, but in a chest harness so I have them available straight away, without having to put my backpack down.

So I use my 15x56 for everything.
Of course, it would be great to have pair of 8x32 in the forest, but as I'm not able to hold them steady, there's no point.

I have the SLC. I tried the Zeiss Conquest but after trying them both, I prefered the SLC.
I have not tried the Meopta's. I never could get over the ugliness of them. They would have been pink, I might have considered them :-O

Thanks. Using a x15 as a only binocular sounds challenging, although I can see the advantage in weight/space.
I confess I kind of like the quirky looks of the Meostar, although a pink Meostar would be really be something to behold! Actually, a few days ago I was looking for siblings of the 8x30 Kowa YF I'm so fond of and look what I found, a Barska Crossover... :D :D (attached)

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-01-19 a las 19.32.37.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-01-19 a las 19.32.37.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 25
I confess I kind of like the quirky looks of the Meostar, although a pink Meostar would be really be something to behold! Actually, a few days ago I was looking for siblings of the 8x30 Kowa YF I'm so fond of and look what I found, a Barska Crossover... :D :D (attached)
:'D :hippy:

Rob what are the different holds you use to minimize shaking

Nothing unusual I think.
- Both Hands back at focus level

- Right hand at focus level, left hand in front of the left tube.

- Both hands in front, regular grip.

- Both hands in front, tubes really resting on palm hands, wrists touching.

Nothing unusual I think.
- Both Hands back at focus level

- Right hand at focus level, left hand in front of the left tube.

- Both hands in front, regular grip.

- Both hands in front, tubes really resting on palm hands, wrists touching.

So you don’t brace yourself, use arm rests, squat, etc? Your basically freeholding them?

For one-optic viewing I used to use the 12x36 IS, wide enough for the close stuff and stable enough to equal my clunky old 15x70 unless they were rested on something very stable. I mainly now use an 8x30 and a 30x scope on tripod. Showed people some Bittern at a local centre... “think we’re going to have to upgrade to a scope”, was one comment!

If you can hold them stable then 15x are a good “not perfect at anything”, but a good all round compromise set. We were born with two eyes, shame that sometimes we chose to not use one of them.

PEter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back